another electric fan question

-

B-NA$TY

Reaction score
i commute around 60 miles one way to work in bayarea traffic in my 74 duster /6 it runs like a top due to great advice, tricks, and tips from this site iv gone through the cooling system (new rad,cap,water pump, t-stat, hoses, and fitting) my concern is i know this summer is going to be a hot one and being stuck in stopped traffic for over an hour at idle might warm things up..... should i look into an electric fan setup with adjustable thermostatic switch... or wait and see how the factory setup holds up thank you for any input, help, experiences,ect

I'd use a temp gun to check for cold areas across the rad, that'd indicate if the rad has plugged tubes,, or I used to feel for cold areas with my knuckles touching across the front of rad at running temp.

The bigger the cool area,, the bigger the prob..

If it's hot all the way across,, I'd wait and see..

If you have a temp gun,,when up to temp., shoot the top and bottom rad fittings ., there should be min. 40* diff between the two..

It's lived all these years without an elec fan,, so it shouldn't need one now, unless something else is at fault.

jmo

Don't buy any cheap electric fans if you do go this route. I just tried it with fans that were $40 a piece. They barely pulled air through the rad at all - not like the metal fan does. I feel as though if your cooling system is working great, let it be.

I'd stay with the clutch fan. No electrical to fail. With shroud and good clutch shouldn't be a problem. You would notice less drag and noise with an electric fan.

Radiator is brand new I haven't had any issues I just want to avoid any issues thanks for the advice I'll wait and keep an eye on it

-
Back