Another gas tank question

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I am going to install the new tank,straps, sender, fuel lines, gaskets (pretty much a brand new fuel system) in the 72 scamp and was wondering if I need to coat the inside of the new tank with anything or just bolt it in. I am going to scuff up and por 15 the top of the tank just to try and prevent any future rust.

I've heard there are coatings for the inside of fuel tanks. I'd say that if you don't have any issues with condensation, there would be no reason to do that. But, I don't think it'd be a bad idea.

There should be a pad between the tank and the underside of the floorpan. When I removed the tank from my '68 340-S, it appeared not unlike very heavy 90# felt (tar) paper. My guess is, it's used to prevent abrasion between the two surfaces. The POR-15 by itself may not be enough, but it'd be a good idea to prevent the tank from rusting from the outside.
Bryan

360scamp said:
I am going to install the new tank,straps, sender, fuel lines, gaskets (pretty much a brand new fuel system) in the 72 scamp and was wondering if I need to coat the inside of the new tank with anything or just bolt it in. I am going to scuff up and por 15 the top of the tank just to try and prevent any future rust.

When you drop the tank ( all fire hazard saftey precautions taken), if there is an old tar paper pad there, use it for a template. I made a new one from rubber floor matting from the local hardware store. The floor matting will take up abaision and chaffing noise as stated above. It will also not hold miosture like the tar paper will. Thats what I use on all my cars. Do not install the tank with out a matt,it will be very noisey.

Don't waste your money on por-15. Clean the out side of the tank good and clean, then wipe it down real good with lacqure thinner or brake cleaner and paint it with silver engine paint (I use Dupli-Colour), then clear coat it with clear engine paint. The clear coat will seal the silver paint and give it a nice tone all most like aluminum. I do that to all my engine pulleys and mounting brackets on my engines also. This holds up well for me and when your under the car for maint you can wipe it down easy. Do the same to your tank straps while you have them off.

Thanks and Good Luck Dave C.

Ok, I got the old tank out, The underside of the trunk cleanned and painted, the new sending unit calabrated and installed, the filler tube is all painted and ready to go with a new gasket, the top of the tank is painted with engine paint and the whole thing is clearcoated. The only thing I wondering about is the vapor return line. Im not going to run a charcole cannister so I just capped off the return on the tank with a new peice of hose with a bolt in the other end, Is that ok?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scamp_of_doom_73/album?.dir=/7bb8re2

I think you do need to let that return line breath without a ventilated gas cap. Did you increase the line size (to say...3/8ths)? If so where did you get your 3/8ths pickup?

-
Back