Another harmonic dampener/balancer question

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I was planning on using my stock dampener because it looks to be in excellent condition (rubber looks great and it has no mars anywhere) but after reading another post here I see you guys that build engines all the time say you allways replace the dampener. Why do you allways replace it? Is it because you feel the stock one is an inadequete unit or because most of the time the stock one is worn out/rubber is brittle? I see a couple guys recommend the Professional products balancers which can be bought very cheap. I could afford one if it would be a gain. One other thing. I had my assy. balanced using my stock balancer. I don't think it would mess up the balance by swapping to a new balancer but what do you guys think? The engine this is going on is a 360 that will produce approx. 375-400 hp and spin to about 6000 rpm.

i used a stock NEW one from mazzolini racing and spin mine to 6000 rpm and have seen no problems yet. i have about 3500 miles on this motor. i am pushing 400-425 hp and he says for the street that a stock one is fine.

if you had the motor balanced with the old damper i dont know if id use a new one especiallly on a 360 that is externally ballanced

I replace them because for me, looking at it, that is to say visually inspecting a stock 40 year old part that has rubber in it doesnt define it as "good". The bearings and crank will feel if it's "good" or not. I might see the rubber cracked, or the ring may slip even tho the rubber looks fine. I dont want a guy that just paid me X dollars to say I messed it up over a $90-$120 part. It's cheap insurance. Do you have to? No. If you are spending over $2500 ona rebuilt lower end, does it make sense to leave it? Not to me. The Pro Products ones come with weights and instructions so they can be counterweightd properly for any stock configuration, or run neutral out of the box. I also internally balance eveything Ido. Even 360s and cast crank engines. If you have one that was balanced with a factory dampner, you need to make sure teh one you replace it with is weighted exactly the same. That's why I internal balance everything. I sure cuts down on installing soemthing that wont work later. (like convertors...)

-
Back