another idiotic moment on my part - fried the starter

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
well i was making up some 1/8 plates to help solidify the torsion bar area and i was sonly planning on tacking them in place. soooooooooooo i didnt unhook the battery. DUMB DUMB DUMB!! once again - DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!

ended up getting caught up and welded everything. went to start car and nothing to the starter. so now 1.5 hours later i am still trying to get starter out. to replace it at 85.00. ego hurst more than the $$ but still 85 aint cheap!! just paid 400 for wheel bearings on my truck lol. and 100 for the dentist. man this adds up quick.

morla of the story - ALWAYS UNHOOK THE DARN BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Been here and done that!! lol
I forgot to hook up the safety neutral switch and jumped across the starter and it jacked it up.

what the fu&k
3 hours and i cant get the effing starter past the headers
tried jacking motor up - headers dont clear the steering col
tried removing ball joint - still wont clear
loosened torsion bar - bar wont come out
all for a friggin small startr - seriously i am getting beyond pissed off

ok got the damn starter out
undid tie rod and pittman arm, jacked pass wheel and turned all the way right, starter ccame right out

idiot i am

well turns out the starter is fine - ugh
3 plus hours wasted, but oh well time is "free" right lol!
ordered up a new starter relay for 12 bucks. will be here today and try that. sheesh all cos i didnt undo the battery. that drives me nuts - simple preventative measures can save soooooooooooo much time!!

I know welding on a car can kill electronics like igniton modules, sterios, etc..
I'm not sure how the welding has interupted starting though.
If the fusible link was fried, nothing inside the cab would have power.
If the new starter relay doesn't cure it, jumper its terminal where the brown wire goes to ground and try to start it ( Make sure its in park or neutral ). If it starts the problem is in the wiring to the neutral safety switch.
Let us know what you find. Good luck

fixed it!!! got the new starter relay in, redid the wiring to/from the starter, dbl checked all grounds and tightened things up a bit. turned the key and she fred right up! fortunately was only a $13 fix but a VERY valuable lesson learned!!
oh and it would have been an hour or 2 to get the starter in/out if i had been jacking the ENGINE up to get the headers to clear and NOT the K FRAME!!! woke up this morning and it dawned on me - duh the k frame is bolted to the main frame so all iwas doing was lifting the whole car. put a board under the oil pan and voila - 30 seconds later the headers cleared. sheesh sometimes i just go too fast and do stupid things!

thanks for the help and letting me rant!

- jason

Rock on, Jason! You learned some good stuff, and only had to pay $13...what a deal!

A little advice: next time you're at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store, celebrate by picking up one of those "green knob" battery disconnect things.
You can disconnect the battery in about two seconds with no tools, and they only cost a few bucks.

-
Back