Another intake question

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
Some of you may already know about my latest combo that Ive been putting together, but Ill go ahead and give a quick rundown.

65 valiant
.030 318
302 heads ported to 360 sized port windows
1.78/1.60 valves
Summit SUM-6901 cam
8.6:1 calculated compression ratio
Magnum exhaust manifolds
2 into 1 pipes, 3" out to rear
1800 rpm stall converter

I was running a port matched Edelbrock Steetmaster 318 on this combo, with suprisingly good results, but I decided to try a better intake this go round. I purchased a Weiand Stealth intake and a 600cfm Edelbrock carb. When I looked at the new intake, my first thought was that it looked HUGE! It almost looks too big for the engine, and the runner volume is quite large compared to my old streetmaster.

Im concerned that this intake will kill my low end tourque. Does anybody have any experience running this (or an equivalent eddy RPM) intake on a ported head 318 with a mild street cam? Should I keep the streetmaster, or run a regular performer, or even the Weiand Action Plus intake? I have yet to install any intake onto this engine, and I would like some imput before i cinch one down.

Probably run better than the StreetMaster IMO.

I reconcidered my original post, and while i do like the Streetmaster intake, the Stealth is probably more along the lines of what your looking for. It will move your power range a little higher, but that's where your trying to go, and with some tuning, should keep most of the bottom end you have now.

The Stealth ,pulls HARD, everywhere. That Streetmaster,optimised to about 4000.Considering the cam choice,go Stealth.

Make sure the intake ports are not larger then the head ports. It will pulse and bounce the flow around do to the step on entrance. I would go to a 700-750 carb before an intake change. Mopar SB's love CFM. One reason why a AVS worked better then an AFB. and why they went to thermal quads. They even handle six packs. and that's not beer

I am running a weiand stealth on my 318 and it pulls great all over! I've got a Carter AVS 625 cfm carb, headers, mild street cam and not sure what has been done to the heads since I didn't build the engine and guy I bought it from didn't know the build either. Great intake in my opinion.

I think it's a good upgrade. Mind the intake manifold's exit size and the head's intake inlet size like OMM said. Head port can be bigger with no big deal. If head port is smaller bad things happen in terms of encouraging performance.

I'd look at Holley Street Dominator, Edelbrock Performer, Stock 273 4 barrel, or Edelbrock LD4B if you can find one. All have the small ports and will perform better than the Edelbrock Streetmaster (low rpm and maximize mpg). Street Dominator and Performer use a universal carb flange so you can run almost any carb. A large port manifold will also work, but in the end, 302's are small port heads.

I'd look at Holley Street Dominator, Edelbrock Performer, Stock 273 4 barrel, or Edelbrock LD4B if you can find one. All have the small ports and will perform better than the Edelbrock Streetmaster (low rpm and maximize mpg). Street Dominator and Performer use a universal carb flange so you can run almost any carb. A large port manifold will also work, but in the end, 302's are small port heads.

My 302s have been fully ported and opened up to 360 sized port windows, so I think ill go ahead and run the stealth and see what she'll do. I will say that my modified streetmaster intake ran purdy darn strong on that 318; it had a really flat tourque curve! Thanks guys!

The Stealth/ Action plus is almost a carbon copy of the Edelbrock LD4B. The runner design is nearly identical, internally and visible from the outside.The LD4B worked so well as a high rise dual plane, that Chrysler put their own part number on the intake and sold it through Direct Connection catalogs.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with that Holley/ Weiand manifold.

-
Back