Another little trick on copper sealing washers

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Just came across this. Never tried/ thought about this. Also, don't forget you can heat anneal (soften) newer "too hard" ones, as well

I get it, but no thanks.

Would rather use heat to soften if needed.

great idea, let's hit a bolt that's hollow. just fantastic. I foresee a whole bunch of core returns with broke off banjo bolts and tons of customer pay for R&R broken bolt, flush and bleed system.

If a leak is that much of a concern there's washers with rubber impregnated in them that work wonderfully.

I think it's a great tip. Thanks for sharing it, Del!

Excellent!
Not sure heating brake fluid / rubber hose enough to soften copper is a prudent idea …

great idea, let's hit a bolt that's hollow. just fantastic. I foresee a whole bunch of core returns with broke off banjo bolts and tons of customer pay for R&R broken bolt, flush and bleed system.

If a leak is that much of a concern there's washers with rubber impregnated in them that work wonderfully.

The impact is in tension, not shear. Hollow or not won't matter.

A quick rap will put more load on the washer and ensure a good imprint. Hitting the same load with axial bolt tension risks the bolt more than a quick pop with a hammer..

The only real risk comes from hitting it without some adequate preload on the fastener to take the slop out of the threads. But with a couple grunts in the wrench, a pop on the head of the bolt won't hurt a thing. Knuckle draggers are more likely to hit it off center and screw up the hex, or miss and hit their fingers..

You heat just the washer to soften the copper, then put it on.
Will the washer stay hot enough for long enough to install ? And wont it harden a bit after heating ? These are sincere questions not being snarky ….

Will the washer stay hot enough for long enough to install ? And wont it harden a bit after heating ? These are sincere questions not being snarky ….
Heating softens the copper.
Doesn’t matter when it cools as it stays soft.

Try it some time with a little section of copper tubing and a propane torch.
Get it hot until it starts changing color, let it cool and see how much easier it bends compared to a not heated area.

-
Back