Another newbie

-

cricket

Rubberqueen
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hello, I am Cricket, just signed up. Was referred by someone on Craig's List who saw that I was looking for parts for my Duster.

I am from Monterey, California, 39 years old and just recently got my drivers license after struggling with Epilepsy for 30 years. I finally found something that keeps me under control!! My doctor gave me the okay to drive, and to help me celebrate, my husband of 20 years bought me a 1972 Plymouth Gold Duster that a friend of ours had and I fell in love with.

During my first few months of driving, just before I got my license, we were hit on a one way street by a couple who was trying to make a left hand turn from the right hand lane, with a late turn signal. We were going up a hill, so I had my pedal to the metal, and rammed right into the driver door with my right fender, enough that the driver of the suburban couldn't get out of the car. His wife came out of the passenger seat and apologized, saying that they weren't used to one way streets where they're from! The cop even laughed at that one.

Anyway, my right front fender and front bumper need to be replaced, but we've had difficulty finding the right parts. The insurance company referred us to someone down south, but they sent us parts to a Valiant, which didn't fit the Duster, so we're on the hunt again.

I really miss driving the Duster, as I am now in a Honda CR-V. Definitely not the same feeling! While waiting for the Duster to get help, I've been working on a new paint job and new interior work. I made new seat covers out of blue jeans. Pockets & everything!! I am going to paint her blue and call her the Denim Duster!

I look forward to spending some time here with you.

Cricket

Monterey! Was just out there not long since. We lived there and have now moved to NM (quite a change) due to health reasons. Climate a lot nice to me here. Traded the ocean for mountains so works. Still go visit though.

Duster part wise I don't have any parts, but I'm sure you can find some from someone on the board. Been great here and (knock on wood) I've not had a problem dealing with anyone here in getting parts. Actually been a nice change as people will go out of their way to help out here.

I'd post all the parts you need and also have a look at the Parts for Sale section to see if anyone has anything already listed. You never know.

Traffic in Monterey with all the tourists especially (guess I'm one of those now, hmmm) the best mod you can make is get a loud horn! lol I was always amazed at the ones that you see the whole car gawking at a sea gull and all the while drifting across the centre line into on coming traffic on Lighthouse.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers

Seagulls...You mean Rats with Wings!! :)

Thank you for your welcomes. I do love it here in Monterey. My husbands definition of Monterey as "Paradise"...You don't need an air conditioner, and a snow shovel is referred to as a big "pooper scooper" here!! :)

I do have a list somewhere of all the parts I need, but I'll need to find it. In the meantime, my biggest search is for the fender and bumper, just to at least get me on the road again.

Cricket

Don't know if this helps, but I just did a quick search on google for 1972 Duster Parts.

This ad came up
http://www.oldride.com/parts/1025089110.html

At least by the picture there is a fender there. Don't see the bumper, but then who knows it might be somewhere. Not sure how the site works or about working a deal on it with anyone as I've not seen the site before, but maybe it is a start.

LA craigslist has a chap with a '72 duster he is parting. Can't get the link to work as using craigslist helper, but it is in the LA craiglist, antelope valley, auto parts. Says you can call 661-722-1893. Big parts he says are $50 up. Says he is in Lancaster area.

Ha! See your ad for a fender in Monterey!

Hope that helps.

Yes, Monterey is really wonderful. Nothing like having to wait to back out of the drive for a huge Deer to take its time walking across behind you. Much better for us though where we are. The damp climate was really getting to the health issues. Nice and dry here so much easier for us. Still go back every year or so when we can. Miss our Paris Bakery. Mate of ours says our pub closed (London Bridge down by the water). Anyway, best of luck and hope you find the parts.

Cheers

Welcome to a great site. Everyone has a passion for a bodies.
Post your list in the parts wanted section.

Welcome to FABO. Monterey is great. Love the central CA coast, especially around San Simeon. Did a headliner for my first Ford (sorry) pickup out of denim complete with the orange-colored thread stitching, back pocket with stitching pattern and red-colored 'Levis' tag on the pocket over my head to use to keep a pen and notes in while driving. Enjoy the 'Denim Duster' when you get it back on the road!

-
Back