another noisy lifter ?

-

dart6

Reaction score
This is a pre magnum 318 hydralic flat tappet cam. The engine hasn't been started for 12-18 months but ran fine before. I just got it going again, has excellent oil pressure but has a noisy lifter or 2. Can i expect the ticking to go away if i keep running it or should i be doing something .
Can the engine be damaged if the ticking continues
Thx for looking

This is a pre magnum 318 hydralic flat tappet cam. The engine hasn't been started for 12-18 months but ran fine before. I just got it going again, has excellent oil pressure but has a noisy lifter or 2. Can i expect the ticking to go away if i keep running it or should i be doing something .
Can the engine be damaged if the ticking continues
Thx for looking
It should quiet down if the engines is in good health. Good oil pressure, not worn out. If the engine has good oil pressure, should not be hurt by noisy lifters for a while.

Probably some dirt in the lifter keeping it from pumping up.

Go to the parts store and buy some marvel mystery oil and add around a pint to your oil.

Drive it a few days then change the oil , it will really desludge the engine too

Attachments

• 41CYbYCFILL__SY300_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 308
Probably some dirt in the lifter keeping it from pumping up.

Go to the parts store and buy some marvel mystery oil and add around a pint to your oil.

Drive it a few days then change the oil , it will really desludge the engine too

x2 If it's just dirty this additive works.

If it won't pump up in a few drives, then change it...

Consider pullin those valve covers and taking a look at the springs. If they're stock springs, they can break after sitting for long periods of time, especially if they've been mishandled and damaged or dropped. While you're in there, find TDC compression stroke for #2 and shake the rocker assembly. It should have a little slack like the others. Anything looser than the rest and the cam and lifter is no good. Regular ATF is a good oil detergent. I've never heard a noisy lifter last longer than 20 seconds on an engine with good oil pressure. It's likely a flat lobe. The pushrods can also punch through the stock rockers. If it's ever been over revved. This can all cause noise. Don't continue to run it until it's corrected, or it'll flatten the cam for sure.

Yep. Wouldn't hurt to pull a valve cover and take a look.... #-o

Could it be possible that Its an exhaust leak? My dart had a bad leak once it cooled down from sitting and it sounded identical to a lifter tic.

Consider pullin those valve covers and taking a look at the springs. If they're stock springs, they can break after sitting for long periods of time, especially if they've been mishandled and damaged or dropped. While you're in there, find TDC compression stroke for #2 and shake the rocker assembly. It should have a little slack like the others. Anything looser than the rest and the cam and lifter is no good. Regular ATF is a good oil detergent. I've never heard a noisy lifter last longer than 20 seconds on an engine with good oil pressure. It's likely a flat lobe. The pushrods can also punch through the stock rockers. If it's ever been over revved. This can all cause noise. Don't continue to run it until it's corrected, or it'll flatten the cam for sure.

All that was mentioned above! And I like the ATF also!

Thanks for the replies, i just let it sit for a few days and started it up today and there is no more ticking

You might try a QT of transmission fluid. Sometimes though for whatever reason when some hydraulic lifters sit up with the plunger compressed, they never recover. Just one more reason to hate hydraulic lifters, IMO.

Then drive it. It may clear up.

-
Back