another old junkyard getting crushed out

-

moparfan68

Reaction score
luckily only a couple mopars getting crushed out mostly chevys and fords. but it still breaks my heart to see all these old cars going away forever.

100_1991.JPG

100_1992.JPG

100_1993.JPG

100_1994.JPG

100_1995.JPG

100_1996.JPG

100_1997.JPG

100_1998.JPG

100_1999.JPG

100_2000.JPG

100_2001.JPG

100_2002.JPG

100_2003.JPG

100_2004.JPG

100_2005.JPG

Looks like owners crushed themselves out several years ago by stacking and not taking care of salvage vehicles.

When you destroy most of the car with a crane or forklift, you are probably not in the junk yard or salvage business.

The way those cars were man handled and stacked, and thrown around is just criminal.

Looks to be only a very small handful of anything salvageable and maybe only one or two whole cars that could be saved.

this was a private junkyard and the owner recently found out he has cancer.he sold all cars to local salvage company they drug them out of woods and stacked them with a loader waiting on a crusher to arrive this week. and alot of these cars were in ok shape before they drug thru woods and stacked. still they have alot of the little things we could all use.

I would love to spend a day walking around looking at them all. It has been a long time since they crushed all the old ones here.

I would love to spend a day walking around looking at them all. It has been a long time since they crushed all the old ones here.
i spent about 4 hrs walking and crawling over and thru these old cars. from the 50s to the early 90s 560 cars gone forever including a 58 chryler with a hemi in it.

hard to find any yards with old sutff anymore. lets face it, most if these parts, parts cars, and barely restorable cars are in the hands of us enthusiasts. th e old timers ( guess I am one too! ha) that were in salvage business always seemed to have space to sit the old stuff, most of these guys retired nd crushed everything back few years ago when scrap got really high.
private guys with 10- 50 cars not in salvage business really don't seem to want to bother with us lookers trying to find small parts. and then too thy want to sell a whole car that ain't close to worth wwhat they want for it.

private guys with 10- 50 cars not in salvage business really don't seem to want to bother with us lookers trying to find small parts. and then too thy want to sell a whole car that ain't close to worth wwhat they want for it.

Can't really blame 'em. If I owned one of these yards liability issues alone would make me reluctant to let guys go poking around looking for a door handle or something that might fetch $5 (not to mention the parts that "accidentally" fell into your toolbox). I only know of one remaining yard that lets customers actually go out and get the parts themselves, and they're only a shell of what they used to be.

Last edited:
We have wildcat auto here (lots of stacked a body's), but everything cost twice as much as ANYWHERE else. I say crush-em. EXAMPLE : I drive an hour each way to get E body axles. Stacks and stacks of them-$100each!!! A member here on FABO sent a set to my front door $100. I still say very nice helpful people and of course very knowledgeable, but when they hit ya with the price....well they might as well crush it all. I mean seriously why would someone pay $200 for old rusty axles that need new bearings pressed on them? You wouldn't at that point just call dr.dif and have him send you a brand new axles with brand-new green bearings on them for 300? Or would you drive an hour each way pay $200 then go pay for bearings and have them pressed onto your axles that are old and rusty I get the original these thing but who sees axles?
rant over....
edit: rant not over yet aren't they a vendor on this forum have the answer anybody's questions?

Salvage yards are getting to be a thing of the past for lots of reasons. When you let someone into your property you assume responsibility. You can have all the signs up that you want but if someone has a problem on your property-it's your problem! When you let people"take their own parts"you find that if they don't need the parts before they get to what they want they rip and tear everything to get that $5.00 part! And of course if you pull that $5.00 part for them you have your time and effort into it. So your part that you pulled takes you thirty minutes to get then it's"not as good as I hoped"-you could have been flipping burgers at McDonald's and made more money! That is the reason the old cars are leaving.

A good friend was buddies with a machinist in Tucson who had a yard full of Mopars. This was right along the fence with Davis Monthan AFB. He crushed 90% of what he had back when scrap was high. It wasn't a pick n pull but I believe he did sell parts on line and through word of mouth.

I love walking through old yards but they are dying out and yards with pre 80's cars are scarce. They are not making more and the hidden diamonds in the rough are all but extinct. Our hobby is in our hands so we must save what we can.

way back in the nineties I was looking at moving south to s. Carolina. there will still lots of mopars scattered round and Ted was way over in Al. but most states do not really want property in salvage business?! in S.C. their state law at that time, said if a yard sells it goes back to ag use. and to start a new one, it would have taken an act of congress. I am glad I did not persue it.
a good bone yard owner loves these old cars, loves trying to help people ( even the a--h----!) ha... but he still have to make it a business. the places that want what I feel is unrealistic prices, I just pass them by,,,, period....

Thats really a shame, if i bought out that yard, i would have taken stock of the vehicles and auctioned the better ones off, maybe with a parts vehicle to complete it. Saw a blue 2 door1960 biscayne tgat would have made a nice rod. That camaro they make all the steel for, and even if you get $500-$700 for it sold as a project, thats better than what you would get for it squashed $50-$150 in scrap. That 4 door satellite would give up a bunch of stuff for a GTX or road runner, or even a 2 door satellite somebody is trying to piece together. I bet its got an 8.75 under it. A bunch of old 67-72 chevy pickups. That orange stepside would make a great project truck for somebody. So would that blue torino fastback.

Heres the thing though, the scrspper mentality. I see it a lot when i go drop off scrap metal at my local scrap metal place. I bring em stainless steel, copper, brass, and scrap steel/iron. I strip and seperate it to maximize my profit. Mixed metals brings less. Lots of people, mostly poor just look at that stuff for scrap weight. Could care less about seperating it. I suspect the scrap buyer looked at these vehicles the same way, as tonnage. They could have made $$$$ selling them out / auctioning off the repairable ones, but then you gotta pay the auctioneer, then still get rid of the remaining scrap, plus the old owner may have wanted them gone asap, and the property cleaned up. Theres a lot of different reasons why it ended up that way. Still a shame.

the scrappers that bought all the cars did sell a few cars about 30 including the 4dr satelite which did have a 8 3/4 for 400.00 bucks he was selling cars for 400-500 bucks each but the owner wanted them all gone asap so they were just stacking and crushing them as they went.the biscayne was a pretty nice car until they drug it out of the woods drivers side was sideswiped by every tree dragging it out totally ruining it.

-
Back