Another one done

-

jtkaaa07

BossMan
Reaction score
Bored tonight so I decided to finish another 4 speed for a friend, I can't wait for spring, but at least I'm getting some projects done, got 3 more sitting on floor, better get going lol !

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

Ive never done one(just add that to the list lol). But had a trans shop check the specs out(all good) on mine, and I cleaned it up and painted it. Had a brainfart with one bolt on the side plate only goes in a certain hole? Something like that anyway
oooooo la la!
I always enjoyed doing those.

Yeah, I don't even know how many I've built, but it gets easier every time, even did a couple toploaders, and Muncie transmissions for different people.

Yep. 4 speeds are one of my favorite things to do.....is that cast paint? I bead blast the housings and the clear them with high heat engine enamel.
IMG_20160708_230101.jpg

Snow? Couple days ago shoveling my driveway lol

IMG_20170124_155427.jpg

Assembly time is not the big factor. Making sure the brass rings can do the job today, and for thousands of miles perhaps many years into the future; that is the big deal. Repointing the clutch teeth takes a bit of time too, as does back-cutting the flanks. Putting new bearings in doesn't eat a lot of time either;
But the real time consumer would be converting it to be able to shift at 7000. Now that's a trick that will cost in the neighborhood of 8 hours with hand tools. But I gotta tell you; shifting at 7200 and knowing it will be almost impossible to miss that shift, and knowing it is gonna pop right in, and you are not gonna pump up the lifters and crash the valves, well that is a mighty fine worry-free feeling. Now I can worry about where the finish-line is, and am I getting there fast enough.heehee.

Assembly time is not the big factor. Making sure the brass rings can do the job today, and for thousands of miles perhaps many years into the future; that is the big deal. Repointing the clutch teeth takes a bit of time too, as does back-cutting the flanks. Putting new bearings in doesn't eat a lot of time either;
But the real time consumer would be converting it to be able to shift at 7000. Now that's a trick that will cost in the neighborhood of 8 hours with hand tools. But I gotta tell you; shifting at 7200 and knowing it will be almost impossible to miss that shift, and knowing it is gonna pop right in, and you are not gonna pump up the lifters and crash the valves, well that is a mighty fine worry-free feeling. Now I can worry about where the finish-line is, and am I getting there fast enough.heehee.

now this conversion to shift at 7000 has got my attention. I'm going to run mine as is for now, I'll shift at about 6500 but if I break something or decide to pull the trans to do some mods I might have to have you give me a few tips AJ!
your not talking about slick shifting are you?

you'll have to teach us about this one day lol, maybe instead of grinding off every other tooth do you do like every 3rd or something?

We had lots up until about 10 days ago. Then a chinook came through here, and turned it all to ice. There were a few days, to a week, of beautiful snomobile snow, probably the best snow since 97.

We had lots up until about 10 days ago. Then a chinook came through here, and turned it all to ice. There were a few days, to a week, of beautiful snomobile snow, probably the best snow since 97.

Yeah the snow we had a couple weeks ago was the best we had in years too. Oh well, that's life as a snowmobiler!

-
Back