Another "opinions" needed - one closer to home.

-

Abodywantedinmi

"All I ever need...
Reaction score
Found this this morning and its actually close to home (within two hours). Originally a slant six car, now with a small block (says 340). Thoughts? Waiting to hear from the owner, hopefully going to look at it Wednesday. (Going to look at a major project on Tuesday a couple hours away).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280355508564&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Ebay item number:280355508564 if the link doesn't work.

Hopefully I'll have pics on Wednesday.

Thanks ahead of time for your input FABO members!

Looks nice in the pics....not an aweful lot of info there to go by though....

Is the seller willing to end the auction if you go out and want to buy?

Whats his reserve?

Looks nice in the pics....not an aweful lot of info there to go by though....

Is the seller willing to end the auction if you go out and want to buy?

Whats his reserve?

Not sure on the reserve, but its listed as for sale locally, so it must have a "buy it now" price. I have an email into him, but it was very early this morning. A little leary because he's new to ebay (no feedback) but I can at least check it out and go from there. Hope to hear more during the day.

Abodywantedinmi, I might have something I just brought home that would fit your bill if this Duster falls through. I brought home a 73 Duster yesterday that I am going to be putting up for sale soon. I'll message back later with some pics if you are interested, Geof

what i see..........driverside rear side marker light is missing a cover, rear wing is ??? aftermarket?? i would check the hood out good as it is likely all fiberglass, interior pics not shown? , but it appears to have grey seatcovers so interior may need alot of work. if it was changed over from a slant6 has the rear been changed as well to something stronger (8 3/4)? a slant 6 car will have weaker torsion bars up fron w/ no swaybar. ride and handeling will be compromised if this hasn't been upgraded. more than likely it was a drum brake car all around originally what is it now? sm bolt pattern?, or large? it also has an aftermarket sunroof installed. leaks??

is it a duster you want? or just a abody? what years are you looking for? what state are you in? i can help you look.....

Abodywantedinmi, I might have something I just brought home that would fit your bill if this Duster falls through. I brought home a 73 Duster yesterday that I am going to be putting up for sale soon. I'll message back later with some pics if you are interested, Geof
Consider me interested. Nothing is in stone with this Duster so I am definitely looking at all options.

is it a duster you want? or just a abody? what years are you looking for? what state are you in? i can help you look.....

Prefer Duster, Demon, or Dart Sport, any year or 67-69 Cuda or Dart, 70-76 Dart, Scamp, Valiant would be an option as well. I'm in Northern Michigan.

The fact that it looks like it sits at someone's junkyard (notice the pile of tires and what looks to be a heap of cars in the background) should tell you to go over this car with a fine tooth comb. The body looks good, but bondo is eBay'ers best friend. Floor boards? Trunk floors? Frame rails? As was stated before is it put together right? Does it still ride on slant torsion bars, have the 7 1/4 rear? Why is it sitting at a junkyard? The fact that it doesn't have much info posted on it might mean the guy selling isn't the guy who built it, doesn't know anything about it, hauled it in, doesn't have the hurt to junk it and thinks he can make a penny off of it beyond scrap. He might be right. Just go armed with the right questions to ask.
The rear spoiler, as mentioned, is definately aftermarket, take a close look at how that was put together. If that was hacked in and the builder couldn't do it right, then what else might be hacked?
Other than that, once you get there and feel the car is legit, then start dealing. If the seller is legit then he shouldn't have a problem with you taking a couple of more detailed pics to post on here to get some opinions on. Good luck.

Robert

I agree w/everybody. Additionally, why not call the number listed? Some people don't check their email often. Of course, have all your questions ready. Ask why he's selling. I'd get a LOT more pictures (underneath, interior, trunk, etc.) before driving any distance, even 2 hours. The combination of the phone conversation and the pictures may help you decide. I.E., You'll probably get a feel for what he wants for it by calling, and the pics could tell you if it's worth the trip.
Pull a valve cover, check any and all numbers, check condition of the oils.
Check for bondo! (As mentioned.) Make sure it tracks straight when driven. (Follow behind and sight it up.) Look for weird tire wear indicating a bent frame.

Good luck!!!

Auction has been pulled did you buy it?

Auction link from here is "broken", car is still listed on ebay.

I agree w/everybody. Additionally, why not call the number listed? Some people don't check their email often. Of course, have all your questions ready. Ask why he's selling. I'd get a LOT more pictures (underneath, interior, trunk, etc.) before driving any distance, even 2 hours. The combination of the phone conversation and the pictures may help you decide. I.E., You'll probably get a feel for what he wants for it by calling, and the pics could tell you if it's worth the trip.
Pull a valve cover, check any and all numbers, check condition of the oils.
Check for bondo! (As mentioned.) Make sure it tracks straight when driven. (Follow behind and sight it up.) Look for weird tire wear indicating a bent frame.

Good luck!!!

I plan on calling later today and hopefully learning more details. Unfortunately, like most cars around here, I'm guessing he wants way more than what its worth. There is a supply/demand problem that leads to buyer's premium even in a slow economy.

Heard from the seller...asking price is $5750. Less than the first car in Toledo I was looking at. I think I'll make the trip up there tomorrow (skip over the project I wasn't sure I would go look at)

I'd be Leary of that car.... kind of looks like one of those paint jobs that's hiding a lot behind it.... I"m HIGHLY doubting it has a real 340.. he's probably just going by the ugly looking number slapped on the fender...

5,700 is a lot, imho, for a car that doesn't even look to be in the best condition... anytime someone mounts wal mart fog lights to the front bumper, you know you might have a problem.....

I'd be Leary of that car.... kind of looks like one of those paint jobs that's hiding a lot behind it.... I"m HIGHLY doubting it has a real 340.. he's probably just going by the ugly looking number slapped on the fender...

5,700 is a lot, imho, for a car that doesn't even look to be in the best condition... anytime someone mounts wal mart fog lights to the front bumper, you know you might have a problem.....

Truer words have never been spoken...I know its not a true 340 car (Not an H Code vin) but I am curious about the condition of it. Who knows how motivated he is...

Take someone with you who knows cars, but couldn't care less about that one. He'll be more subjective. I had a friend like that who saved me much grief more than once. I knew when he lit up, it was a good one! In '84, we went to look at a '72 340 Demon. It didn't run, the guy didn't know why. He said it wouldn't crank over. But, it cranked like crazy, the guy was clueless. He wanted $400 for it!!! That was cheap even "back in the day". It was a 340 in it. We went and got my buddy's truck pronto! All it needed was head gaskets. I drove it for 5 years, selling it to do the "buy a house" thing.
Sorry, I'm off on a tangent, it was a good memory.

Abodywantedinmi you didn't like any of those? not close enough? are you near the canadian border if so what part so i can look there as well? i figured the price range you were looking for was 7000.00 or less. am i right on that?

Abodywantedinmi you didn't like any of those? not close enough? are you near the canadian border if so what part so i can look there as well? i figured the price range you were looking for was 7000.00 or less. am i right on that?

I didn't get a chance to look at them...work blocks craigslist and I was busy packing up for the summer. I'm two hours away from Canada, but So. Ste. Marie, not Sarnia or Windsor. I'm starting to look now, like the Dart Swinger in Sturgis, MI (I've seen that one before). I was bidding on the one on ebay. Really like the Dart Sport, now that I've looked at all three.

i 'll look in canada some near you. the dart is the best bet to me. it looks great and has alot of the same feel as the yellow duster you looked at but in a much better looking package. good color combo w/ good price to boot

Roadtrip complete. Owner is a really nice guy, clueless on Mopars. Car is what I figured it would be. I plan on posting pics later tonight, just dont have time to now. Very interesting "add-ons" on this car, beyond what can be seen in the pictures. Owner does have an A-body 3.23 suregrip laying in his "yard" that I'll also post pics of as well and a 73 340 4 speed Duster that he sold for $1000 that is all but wasted away (motor, rear and tranny there, not much else). Thanks again for everyone's advice...more to follow tonight.

Here are some pictures:
100_1926.jpg

100_1927.jpg

100_1930.jpg

Damage by the hood scoop
100_1932.jpg

Late model seats
100_1934.jpg

100_1936.jpg

Parts in the trunk
100_1940.jpg

Aftermarket instrument cluster in the dash
100_1945.jpg

Sunroof and a custom dome light
100_1938.jpg

Suregrip
100_1946.jpg

3.23 Tag
100_1947.jpg

And for fun, a view from the bridge
000_0030.jpg

Did you talk him down in price any?

No. Figured I wouldn't insult him, wait for feedback from here and check out a couple more cars before any negotiations. The number 2 grand kept popping in my head. As of right now, its over that amount on ebay, not meeting the reserve.

Forgot to mention a couple more things...floor boards in the rear are getting soft (I'm guessing the sun roof or rear window leaks) and he had to pour gas down the carb to get it started (dual feed Holley). Didn't drive it for fear of breaking down.

Just my opinion, but $5750 sounds too high. I bought a straight and solid '69 Dart on eBay 2+ years ago for just over $5000. That price included a new 380-horse 360 crate motor, fresh 727, b-body 8-3/4, lbp front disc brake conversion already done, decent interior, new AutoMeter guages still in the boxes, new B&M auto floor shift still in the box, new 3" exhaust and mufflers (sitting in the back seat) and all the parts required to finish the car.

-
Back