Another possible solution for title problems.

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Long story short, is I am looking at getting a title for my 1970 Challenger. I have had it sitting for 15 years, non roadworthy. I had a title, signed by previous owner, but state to state difference, meant I had to have it running to take it to my local DMV for VIN # inspection, which it never got to that point. The title was good to go, until some scumbag thieves stole a vehicle, and stole all the paperwork, including the Challenger title. (Why in another vehicle you ask...In the process of house move, and had all paperwork in daily driver, driver stolen)

I contacted KS DMV, via email with some questions. They mentioned something I had not heard before, called a quiet title.

Basic premise of quiet title, is to end "dispute" over property (quiet the argument, hence "quiet title"), mostly used in land claims, so I read. She said it is a court process, where you can claim ownership, and they contact previous owners, and judge settles dispute.

For those in disputes, this might work to your advantage, if you can show you bought the car from someone, with bill of sale, etc?
For those not in disputes, it might give an outlet, considering they may not be able to find previous owner, or previous owner may not contend, allowing you to get the title?

I know in Missouri there is a way you can buy a vehicle with a bill of sale only and apply for a lost title. I was looking into doing it on a motorcycle recently. You have to pay the state a fee and then send a bunch of certified letters to all previous owners on record asking if they have any claim to the vehicle. After a set period of time, if no one claims rights to the vehicle, the state will let you pay another fee and apply for a new title in your name. I was told it could take around six months to complete the process so I passed on the bike.

-
Back