Another problem

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
When I find myself sitting at a long traffic light with the car running, the idle gradually slows down and after a long enough period of time the care will die. Crank it over, and it starts and will do the same thing. It takes about 2 minutes to gradually slow down enough to stall. If I just keep tapping the throttle every 15 seconds or so I can keep it going till the light changes. It runs great all other times. It has a 318 +.040 with a edelbrock 1406 4bbl and an rv cam and a 4 speed. Fuel line problem? Carb issue? Should I just turn up the idle? Also, If I get on it for more than 10 seconds at full throttle, it bogs and I have to lift.
Any ideas as to the problem?
Dan

Multiple possibilities.
Weak fuel pump, cant keep up at idle
Too rich and loading up?

Have you pulled a plug to see how they look?

When I find myself sitting at a long traffic light with the car running, the idle gradually slows down and after a long enough period of time the care will die. Crank it over, and it starts and will do the same thing. It takes about 2 minutes to gradually slow down enough to stall. If I just keep tapping the throttle every 15 seconds or so I can keep it going till the light changes. It runs great all other times. It has a 318 +.040 with a edelbrock 1406 4bbl and an rv cam and a 4 speed. Fuel line problem? Carb issue? Should I just turn up the idle? Also, If I get on it for more than 10 seconds at full throttle, it bogs and I have to lift.
Any ideas as to the problem?
Dan

sounds like is may be time to check your float levels , or it may be trying to vapor lock. hot fuel will cause this as well...

Yep, Float levels, Idle Circuit, Etc...Time to rebuild the Carb. More likely Junk in the Idle circuit but a rebuild is pretty easy and kits are cheap.

I actually was thinking the fuel lines might be old and restricted and when at idle, the pump cant pull the fuel through enough. When accelerating, the pump has enough pull to a point, then the restricted lines shine their ugly heads again and bog the motor down with starvation.

If you have a fuel line restriction, that problem will show up under hard power, not idle.

It might be possible you have a PUMP problem, though, but I doubt it.

I just had a similar problem on another carb. It was an idle circuit problem. Basically you run out of fuel during idle. Does the engine sound lean at idle with popping? You can revisit setting the idle mixture screw and if that fails you can clean the carb idle circuit passageways. Checking float levels, needle and seat, etc. while it is apart is always a good idea too.

If you have a fuel line restriction, that problem will show up under hard power, not idle.

It might be possible you have a PUMP problem, though, but I doubt it.

I think it does show up under hard acceleration..After about 5 to 10 seconds it goes south...BLAAAAAAAAA and I have to lift off the pedal. Then its back to running again..And yes it kinda makes that sound..BLAAAAAAAA until I lift.

-
Back