Another ratio question 3.23 vs. 2.94

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I currently have 2.94 gears with 28" tires on my Duster and as you can imagine it's not great off the line. The gears in my car now are in a 741 case I was thinking of changing the ring & pinion to 3.23's and later on getting a whole center section with 4.10's or something when I hit the strip. Would it be worth it to change my 2.94 r&p with 3.23s or just wasted $$$ in the end? Still want to keep a good highway gear for occasional road trips...

You are wasting your money on changing the gears, you are only going to gain about 300 rpm at 60 mph.
Save up for a good rear ratio.

Lots of $ and effort for a little tiny difference, and if you're going all out with a second chunk I'd leave the 2.94. If you want to do just one chunk, you can get 3.55 or 3.73 new for the 741.

Buy ,borrow swipe ,some 24 " tall radials.(worn out,or not....) A 215-235 /60 series,would be a good start. (j.m.o. )....

Your considering the price of two "chunks".....yikes?

Run the 2.94's on the street and just do any, cough/cough, street action from a roll, I've been there done that with decent results :D. Then just build your strip gears to whatever the car really likes/needs.

If your engine is down on low speed torque you'll feel a difference, not a tremendous difference but a difference nonetheless. If you have a torquey' engine you most likely won't notice any appreciable change.

Your considering the price of two "chunks".....yikes?

Run the 2.94's on the street and just do any, cough/cough, street action from a roll, I've been there done that with decent results :D. Then just build your strip gears to whatever the car really likes/needs.

Not really just changing the ring & pinion in my current chunk and later on getting another one... Nonetheless I'll leave it for now thanks guys

Dammit I want an overdrive already! lol

I was just thinking. You have 28inch tires,right? Well thats nearly the tallest you can fit in there. and I bet your fronts are about 24.5 or so. Well, if you put same od size tires on the rear you would gain (28-24.5)/2=7% torque multiplication. And 2.94 X 1.07 =3.15 equivalent gear change. It may not be much. Just a thought.

Actually my fronts are around 26.5 they are 215/65-15 pretty much the biggest I could fit all around ha... I was also thinking about 3.55s I may have to do that after I put in a bigger cam.

Screw it I ought to just get another mopar and build it strictly for cruising :finga:

If you're running a 904 based trasnsmission, a lower gear set from a later model trans might be worth considering.

3.23 is the "compromise" rear. Even better with an RB. But if you have the cash for 2 chunks, God bless you! Most of us would like to have a selection of rears on the shelf.

3.23 is the "compromise" rear. Even better with an RB. But if you have the cash for 2 chunks, God bless you! Most of us would like to have a selection of rears on the shelf.

IDK it's not that much picking up used parts here and there... my current chunk isn't great anyway it's a 741 case although it does have factory clutch-type SG. I just need a 742 or 489 case then put new 4.10 ring & pinion and maybe swap over the SG with a rebuild kit.

The annoying part is how the ring and pinions don't swap between cases which I suppose would defeat the purpose but still...

-
Back