Another small block build

-

73smallblock

Reaction score
Finally posting my 4 year old engine build. All parts are off the shelf parts. Pittsburghracer has asked me to this a while ago and I dropped the ball on it.

1980 360 block - came out of a police car
.060 over bore 0 deck
4" eagle forged crank
Eagle rods
Icon pistons - flattops with valve reliefs
.590 sft Mopar cam
Comp edm lifters
1.5 mancini roller rockers
Smith brothers pushrods
Trickflow heads with .039 cometic gaskets
M1 single plane intake
Proform 950 carb
1 7/8 hedman headers

Engine was originally built with speedmaster heads that were as cast. I just hand lapped some valves and threw some spring on it. Trickflow's came 3 years later. Everything has arp studs where available. So that's the basics of my junk, lol.

With the speedmasters I had 1 5/8 header's and and 850 proform carb on it. It went a best of 7.07 1/8 and a 11.35 1/4. With the trickflow's, 1 7/8 header's and a 950 it's gone 6.68 1/8 and 10.68 1/4 running out of gear around 1100ft.

That's impressive! What gear, transmission, and converter?

4.56 gears with a 28" tire.
Had a turbo action converter in it but I had a broken one fixed/adjusted by PTC over the winter. The PTC one actually hurt the 60'. It was a 1.42 60' with the turbo action but with the PTC it was a 1.45 60'.

Car is all steel with the exception of the bumpers. No interior but a factory dash, race seat and an 8 point roll bar.

I should mention that the times listed above are with super stock springs and competition engineering shocks. I did switch to caltracs, split mono leafs, spring sliders and Calvert shocks in the rear.

Here is picture that our track photographer took a few weeks ago. It's a screenshot because I don't do social media.

IMG_20230510_175347.png

Looks like that is getting it done. Any work on the heads and intake or are they still as issued?

What CR did you end up with when you switched to the Trick Flow heads? I'm putting together a 408 (.030 over) flat top Icons right now with Trick Flow heads and I'm coming up with 12.56 CR with .039 head gaskets. Also, what fuel are you running?

Thanks, Bill

What CR did you end up with when you switched to the Trick Flow heads? I'm putting together a 408 (.030 over) flat top Icons right now with Trick Flow heads and I'm coming up with 12.56 CR with .039 head gaskets. Also, what fuel are you running?

Thanks, Bill
Using summit's calculator with the speedmasters it was 11.5 which was a 65cc chamber. The trick flows are 60cc which raised it 1 point, so 12.5. I've never verified it but that's what the numbers say. I usually run c12 but have ran c10 with no issues.

-
Back