Another spot welding ???

-
Drill 1/4" holes in the outer panel, clamp it and weld through the hole to the inner panel.

Touch it up carefully with a grinder, when done.

Attachments

• plug-welds-finished.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,135
Thanks, but I should clarify, I want a factory looking / feeling spot weld.

Like mentioned, you will need a spot welder for factory looking spot welds.

-Or-

You can do plug welds and dress them to look like spot welds. This takes some time and I really question the value of going through the effort.

014-4-1.jpg

worked good, some places couldn't get too. so am looking at the lenco spot welder

#61206 is on sale
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=spot+welder

looking at this one
to do the quarters,and door jam post on our next project

http://www.summitracing.com/search?...SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=lenco spot welder

I can buy a used cable spot welder, but I might go the harbor freight route and modify the tongs to get up in the wheel well.
Thanks guys

a spot welder is nice to have for certain things... I had one and then sold it probably 20 years ago to fund something else... I have kicked myself many times for selling it... although it would have sat unused 95-99% of the time!

Search Craigslist I bought a couple Lenco spot welders off there. One was 120.00 the other was 200.00 not bad when a new one is over a thousand.

Here is one on Ebay
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenco-Spot-Mark-II-/181445473667?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item2a3efe3583"]Lenco Spot Mark II | eBay[/ame]

didn't realize the welder sat so low, nowhere to store the 50ft. of power cord
the leads are only 4 1/2ft. long

So built a taller cart
019.jpg

but, something is missing
024.jpg

needed a shelf for the other body tools
028.jpg

Now its a better working height
time to install the tubbs and trunk floor

039.jpg

Lencospot is an excellent welder! I have a Snap-on labeled Lenco that does the pinch welding & another Lenco that has the separate resistance welding tongs. Cords are very heavy though! Yeah that plug cord is a mile long too! Lol!
Please post some pics when you are done so we can see it!

[QUOTE Cords are very heavy though! Yeah that plug cord is a mile long too! Lol!
Please post some pics when you are done so we can see it![/QUOTE]

:D

that's the other reason for raising the machine..

Those leads are heavy

will do on the pics..

still got to wire in a dual 60 amp breaker and plug

it came with a molded on 3 prong plugs that no one carries, So had to buy another male/ female plug set

yea i bit the bullet, got 3 other cars needing panels or panel repair,

I think this will help keep the heat /warp down.

Compared to how i used to drill holes, plug weld then grind flat, then grind to duplicate the factory welds,,, was very time consuming.

I have an older Lenco Panel Spotter that I just hooked up and I was not able to weld anything over .030" , so I am thinking about buying the newer unit. Have you tried any sample pieces yet? I would really appreciate to see and hear how well this unit works. Please post some pictures, or if anyone else has experinece . :thumleft:

You will be happy once you learn the heat setting of the Lenco. I have used one for over 20 years now.

I have an older Lenco Panel Spotter that I just hooked up and I was not able to weld anything over .030" , so I am thinking about buying the newer unit. Have you tried any sample pieces yet? I would really appreciate to see and hear how well this unit works. Please post some pictures, or if anyone else has experinece . :thumleft:

My other spot welder , I cleaned the tongs and all connections, it started welding like new again...
it got to where it would barley weld.

pull the tips out also and clean them...

I saw a brand new one at summit racing store back in April had a dent and scrape in the side cover near the front corner it was 700.00. I think they are about 1200 in the catolog

Yes I tried that , even replaced the tips and cleaned out the probe ends. I also took off the cable ends at the transformer and cleaned that connection as well and still no change. I really think that the transformer is wore out . I really would like to see some sample pieces that owners of these units have done. I am sold on the idea of same side spot welding , but just don't have the confidence in my current unit to invest in a new one. Please post pictures if you have them. Thanks :thumleft:

I finally bought a used lenco, got extra tips with it and has dual trigger handles, paid 300.00 and drove 100 miles to get it. installed a 50' power cord on it so it would reach anywhere in the shop. mounted it on top of my tig welder cart. will try it out this week.

Check your breaker for amp rating.new ones work on a 30amp breaker-the old ones like a 50amp breaker.more juice more welding capacity

Gotta say, it' a great welder
once you set the time cycle, anyone can weld with it

Took me longer to clamp and set up the job, than weld it in

i practiced here
tubbing it

008-2.jpg

006-2-1.jpg

010.jpg

011-2.jpg

Those spots definetly look very nice. What size is the flat on the tips you are using, and what is the thickness of the metal if you know.

Thanks for sharing!

-
Back