Another subframe connector question

-

dustertogo

Reaction score
I have some Competition Engineering subframe connectors (bolt-in type) that I was planning on installing on my 73 Duster. Haven't really gotten to the point of trying to install them yet, but at first glance, it looks like they may not work due to the torque boxes. Anyone else had this experience?

Ahh!!!! You asked at the right time. I just installed a set into my 73' Duster. Drilling the holes, I found to be a pain.(Grrr) I had no problems with torque boxes being in the way. I Highly Reccomend , just welding them in. It's just that much easier to do. Clean area, slide em up and weld. Surely beats drilling all those holes. I wound up bolting them and welding them afterwards. When I was done I realized, If I just had plug welded the bolt holes and sides. I could have saved a lot of time and sweat. I used a 130 amp Lincoln - Electric Mig welder to get the job done. Roll cage/ outriggers and the 10pt cage (mild steel) are next. :smile:

Hey thanks for the tip Eric S68. Looks like weld in it is. It's always good to hear from someone who just tackled a particular job and then figured out they should have done it another way. Can't tell you how many times I've done that LOL.

Your quite welcome! P.S. Use a 4" or 4 1/2" grinder and some 40 grit discs seems to get everything clean. If there's tar in the way, it will clog the sanding disc. Use a spray on bug and tar remover and putty knife to get the bulk outta the way. Experiment with the bug and tar remover's some seem to really work way better than others.

I used the MP connectors on my 73 Duster. They were about 3/8 in short
in length and when I lined them up with the front sub frame I could not Bolt
them in that way. I welded the front bracket to the connectors. Then they
were the right length. Just welded them in. Worked good that way.

Eric_S68 said:
Your quite welcome! P.S. Use a 4" or 4 1/2" grinder and some 40 grit discs seems to get everything clean. If there's tar in the way, it will clog the sanding disc. Use a spray on bug and tar remover and putty knife to get the bulk outta the way. Experiment with the bug and tar remover's some seem to really work way better than others.

Try EZ-Off oven cleaner,
wear goggles, long rubber gloves, when scraping the goop off.

WEAR GOGGLES.

Hey guys thanks for all of the tips. I think I have a game plan now and hopefully all will go well. I knew I could count on you guys for great advice. Thanks again.

cavemanmoron said:
Try EZ-Off oven cleaner,
wear goggles, long rubber gloves, when scraping the goop off.

WEAR GOGGLES.

What goop are you talking about scraping off? The undercoating? or just road grime? I'm confused. Thanks bud

mopowers said:
What goop are you talking about scraping off? The undercoating? or just road grime? I'm confused. Thanks bud

If you try to get 40+ year old undercoating off,
use a putty knive, to get what comes off easy,
but I have seen the Yellow can, "Easy-Off" used, and it helped a lot.

The fume free Easyoff is not as potent.

00052.jpg

-
Back