Another Sunroof thread

-

Stacked360

Reaction score
I've seen other threads about sunroofs and parts and such when I searched. But what I'm looking for is some information, not necessarily parts. I took my sunroof completely apart, cleaned everything, lubed the wires and slides, painted some pieces to prevent corrosion, and put it all back together. Problem I have, is it cranks nice and easy 95% of the way, perfect operation...until you go to crank it the last 5% to close it, and the gear seems to slip on the wires and not allow the sunroof to go into it's final closed position. I inspected the gear and made sure it was shimmed properly and such, and the gear looks like new...but I didn't check to see if the cables were worn in that spot that "slips".

What I'm curious about, is there something I could have done wrong putting it back together? Are worn cables common? Am I missing something else that is causing my problem? And possibly most importantly...if it is the cables, can they be purchased to replace the worn ones? I know the American Sunroof Company was the same company as Goldie, who made sunroofs for pretty much every car through the 80's. my 87' Volvo had an identical sunroof as my Duster, same innards and same design. I'm curious if I could use parts from later sunroofs from other cars?

Also...does anyone have any records of how many Metal sunroof Dusters or A-bodies for that matter were made?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this will help but I will throw it out there. Are you sure when you put the gears and cables back together that the gear was in the proper crank position? Maybe you are reaching an end point on the gear? Kind of like the half moon on the window cranks?

The gear has teeth 360 degrees, just engages into the wires that pull one way or another.

How about the "ramps" that lift it about where you say the problem occurs?

-
Back