Another VW bug?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Why? What is wrong with me?
Why would I volunteer to build another VW bug? I dont even like VW. (and thats a fact)
I must be sick in the head.

A few years ago I built a very complex mid engine VW bug for a buddy at no cost. In fact I am still working on it for free in my down time. It turned out to be one of the coolest cars i have ever built.

I have been looking to get help in the shop with zero success. Everyone so far has turned out to be worthless. Today I had two people show up unannounced looking for the same job at the same exact time.

First is a guy right about my age who has way more experience than I am even looking for. He knows everything bla bla bla....... but he is willing to take the number I offer so I explain there is also another person here for the same reason, let me talk to them before I decide.

Person number two is a young women, She know more than I expected, has a can do attitude, pulled up in a cool VW baja with a "built not bought" license plate frame and seems to have a genuine desire to learn.

Of course I hired the guy with more experience but I decided to offer the young lady a trade. She is welcome to come in on her off time and work. (For free) I will trade her labor on her VW for all her time at a straight across rate.

Its a good deal for her and hopefully she ends up being a good worker. I don't have much faith in the other guy and he aint even started working yet.. I also remember those times as a young kid going to apply for jobs, some of those jobs changed my life.

So if any of you VW people have ideas for a baja style build please post them up.

Im looking for ideas, pictures anything you got. ( im thinking pikes peak/baja?)
Yes, I have seen the twin turbo LS one. IT IS AWESOME!

Thank you and happy new year!

If this is it, I would take it....and have a blast.

2015 Dakar - race-dezert.com - dsc00541.jpg

Thank you. That is the car I wanted to link.

I kinda want to try and build one.

I'm thinkin somethin with a gun turrett. That gun site showed up today too. Way cool. Thank you very much.

i had a bug come across my phone feed a few days ago, reminded me of you

but that was a drag car (ill see if i can find it)

Well first day, dude can't make it until lunch time. His kid has a doctors appointment.....

Guess he didn't know about that yesterday?

Frickin people suck these days..
My pops sure was a dick head when I was a kid but it seems to have made me able to at least show up on time...

I went with custom cage, A-Arm front suspension, dual shocks all around 6 rib VW bus trans, Ecotec engine for my 60 ragtop baja build (then sold after I played with it for awhile!)

IMG_7794.jpg
20160219_175234_resized.jpg
20161029_113236.jpg
20161029_113344.jpg

My buddy and his son, as you can tell, he very much enjoyed it!
20161028_163408.jpg

Here was a 71 Vert I built, 2332 fuel injected turbo. (no radiator like the subi conversions need!)
DSCN0621.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG

gregneddy.jpg

My kinda Class 11 :D Earth shaking stock 1200cc, swing axle only, steel wheels of stock appearance, DOT tires, stock gearing, 1 shock per wheel in the stock location, had to be painted white and have red numbers. Plus safety equipment. Lotta fun :D

I raced a class 5-1600 car once. Ludlow to Laughlin. Never again. There are a lot of different classes of Baja bug and some are really bad ***. Some of the unlimited bugs are very fast also. We race a class 8 truck and they are not far behind us.
Class Descriptions – SCORE Race Info

I raced a class 5-1600 car once. Ludlow to Laughlin. Never again. There are a lot of different classes of Baja bug and some are really bad ***. Some of the unlimited bugs are very fast also. We race a class 8 truck and they are not far behind us.
Class Descriptions – SCORE Race Info

Ludlow to Laughlin isn't but 120 miles :lol:Smooth and flat, lovely and green :rofl:

Ludlow to Laughlin isn't but 120 miles :lol:Smooth and flat, lovely and green :rofl:

That was way back in the MDR (Mojave desert racing) days. I forget how long the course was but it certainly wasn’t straight or flat. And in a stock bug with only a roll cage and bfg tires it was miserable.

Last edited:
That M.O.R.E. bunch still uses parts of the course we used for the Firecracker 250 and California 400 in the 70s. I saw not long ago they have some other tracks in the same area. I grew up out there. Slash X Cafe, that was just down the road from where many illicit speed contests were held :rolleyes:. I didn't do it. I'm not givin' the money back. I promise to never do it again.

-
Back