Another "what am I looking at"

-

danielb927

Reaction score
p1020711c.jpg

Can someone tell me what this is, and why it's connected to the positive terminal of the coil?

Looks like a radio suppression condenser that keeps radio-static type noise when playing on the radio.
TXDart

Thanks guys. It was connected to the positive of the coil, is that right?

I also discovered the tach was connected to the coil positive. That doesn't sound right...

Thanks guys. It was connected to the positive of the coil, is that right?

I also discovered the tach was connected to the coil positive. That doesn't sound right...

On the tachometer, there will be a black ground wire, a red wire and a green wire.
Ground the black ground wire to the battery.
Hook the red wire to the positive side of the ignition coil.
Hook the green wire to the negative side of the ignition coil.
If your tachometer has a fourth wire, it is for a light and can be hooked into your car's lighting system.
TXDart

Question time for the coil. I have 2 wires going to the coil, plus a blue/green one that I know is from the tach. One is thicker, black with a brown tracer. The other is thinner, black with a yellow tracer. The way it's been hooked up since I got it is:

Thinner black wire, tach, and condenser to coil +
Thicker black (brown tracer) to coil -

Now the book I have says thin black with yellow tracer to - and brown to +. Has my coil been hooked up backwards since I got the car? If so, how the heck did it run? These wires are definitely from a factory looking harness, they haven't been spliced in anywhere. Colors stay the same through a big 8-pin connector.

I have this in another thread so I'll let this one die, the coil was hooked up backwards so that's fixed and the condenser there is disconnected. Thanks for the help FABO!

-
Back