Another, What's it worth....1972 340

-

dgibby

Reaction score
Or more like how much should I pay.
Got a local guy with a completely disassembled 1972 340 the is trying to sell. Everything except the carb and timing cover. 915 heads are 1.88/1.60 and are bare. Has been in storage and everything needs to be cleaned up bad. Unknown specs if it has been bored or crank has been turned. I have only seen pictures at this point. He of course thinks it is super rare and is asking 800 for the package, wont separate parts. I'm thinking core value only since everything will have to be sent out, checked and rebuilt and offered him $500 for the package, which he turned down. I'm really only interested in the block and don't see much value in the misc. parts the he is including. He seems to be firm, as do I, so before I walk away just want to make sure that I'm not up in the night and passing on a good deal... Thanks.

Or more like how much should I pay.
Got a local guy with a completely disassembled 1972 340 the is trying to sell. Everything except the carb and timing cover. 915 heads are 1.88/1.60 and are bare. Has been in storage and everything needs to be cleaned up bad. Unknown specs if it has been bored or crank has been turned. I have only seen pictures at this point. He of course thinks it is super rare and is asking 800 for the package, wont separate parts. I'm thinking core value only since everything will have to be sent out, checked and rebuilt and offered him $500 for the package, which he turned down. I'm really only interested in the block and don't see much value in the misc. parts the he is including. He seems to be firm, as do I, so before I walk away just want to make sure that I'm not up in the night and passing on a good deal... Thanks.

I know you are just after the block. Do you know if it's a forged or cast crank? If it's cast you could recoop some of the monies selling a good forged crank.

For just a block that you need, I think it's a tad high

Hard to say not knowing much about it. Could need a lot of machine work which can add up to serious $. If it already bored .030-.040 or better and needs more the block may be toast. Its a cast crank small valve (doggy) motor so worth less (to me anyways) than a big valve high comp. forged crank motor. Im in a diif part of the country but I just bought a low milage (bone stock)disassembled 73 340 with complete 587 heads for $300. Bought a low mile 70 steel crank big valve Js, higher compression 340 running and going for $1200. Granted I bought mine rite and have been offered more for them. Most blocks run from $300-$500, cast crank $100, bare heads $100, rods $50. Keep in mind if it needs to be bored them pistons are useless. A rod or 2 could be bad, head could be cracked, block could be cracked. Lot of variables to consider

I'd like to know the casting date and VIN on the block...

It's worth 800 to me if it's out of my car! :)

Absolutely.... Id give even more than $800 for my #s motor. You hear of people getting lucky, but for me its been even harder than finding that needle in the haystack.

No vin but here is the casting # 2780930-340-2

I have the same though, if I could sell some parts to recoup some $$ it might be worth it but I'm having a hard time seeing much value in bare heads, used pistons and rods and a stock iron intake.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 268
  • crank.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 286
  • rods.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 257
I see a small ridge. Probably need to be bored. Pistons then useless, but look like stock slugs. My guess would be std 4.04 bore ( I would measure to confirm). Crank pictured is a forged crank, but looks like thicker cast crank balancer. Pretty sure those are 69 340 rods as well. Looks like 69 turquoise paint, you sure that is not a 69 motor? Hmmmm

Can you get the VIN, needs to look on pass side of block, just above the pan rail. Flat machined area.

Casting number on 340, sans T/A blocks was the same throughout production run.

KarzyKuda did a nice write up. Scroll down this thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=285003

I'll try... getting info is slow coming, motor in storage, not at his house, doesn't want to meet there so I can check it out unless I'm there to buy. I wont buy it if I cant get any info... vicious circle..

Sure is making it hard to buy, huh?? Maybe his "growing" operation is at the storage facility, or the bodies!!! Without a casting date, which is on the other side of the block, it is going to be hard to correctly date the motor! It would also be nice to have the VIN, and see the stamping on the front of the block under the head on the drivers side! 5 minutes and some calipers would certainly be worth the time!!!....

Here is the vin but I cant make out the middle numbers/letters. Casting mark also.

Pretty rusting and eaten away in the timing cover area. Think it will be a problem??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 159
  • image_1 (2).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 150
  • photo 1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 149
  • photo 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 147
  • photo 3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 182
  • photo (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 151
I'd value it it as scrap if I was buying it. The timing cover sealing flange is gone and looks too far to remachine flat. As is the area directly adjacent to the cam retainer plate which deals with pressurized oil in the left lifter galley. The bores are rusty and will require an overbore. assuming it's not cracked it will take a bit, and you'll have to fix those sealing areas with JB weld or something. It's bottom of the barrel IMO. Price accordingly. I think the offer of $500 was a little strong, $300 sounds more realistic. Scrap is probably under $100.

I'd value it it as scrap if I was buying it. The timing cover sealing flange is gone and looks too far to remachine flat. As is the area directly adjacent to the cam retainer plate which deals with pressurized oil in the left lifter galley. The bores are rusty and will require an overbore. assuming it's not cracked it will take a bit, and you'll have to fix those sealing areas with JB weld or something. It's bottom of the barrel IMO. Price accordingly. I think the offer of $500 was a little strong, $300 sounds more realistic. Scrap is probably under $100.

I agree. After seeing what he has and the condition I figured I would walk away from the deal. Its not something that I need, was just hoping if the deal was right that maybe I could sell off the extra parts and use the block for a future engine build but it seem like there is not much value in what he has. Thanks.

-
Back