Another wheel question - leaf springs moved inwards. How big can i go?

-

GJUK

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member here from the UK.

I'm on the MMA forum over in the UK, wanted to ask a question about my 1968 dart on here if I may.

Looking to put larger wheels on the rear of my dart, which has had the rear springs moved inwards already.

This is the situation at the rear.

I've gains about 3 inches moving the leaf springs in. Though the tubs at the top are currently 2.5 inches from the edge of the inner tyre.

So I have 2 inches to play with.

Do you think 285/60/15 tyres will fit there?

4g0j8w.jpg

2e5vdzn.jpg

21cz90m.jpg

Looking at getting these wheels.

O.E Chrysler Steel

15 x 10
5 1/2 " back space

Bolt Pattern
5-4.50

Thanks guys.

Jon

I am running 255/60/15.

Its tight but fits in the stock wheel well. I have not cut the wheel well lip.

I have heard guys on the site running 275/60/15

you have to be careful with the offset on your rims

You should be able to run a 275/60/15's.

That's basically the same size as you can run with a 1/2" spring hanger/shackle offset, which lines the springs up with the stock wheel tubs. Without a mini-tub, the 3" offset doesn't gain you all that much clearance because the stock wheel tubs are still in the way.

Thanks guys :)

The offset is 5 1/2 " (back space) but these are 10 inch x 15 inch wheels
10 inches wide be okay in the stock rear wells?

Would that be about right. the axle is a 8 + 3/4

Thanks

Jon

I am running 255/60/15.

Its tight but fits in the stock wheel well. I have not cut the wheel well lip.

I have heard guys on the site running 275/60/15

you have to be careful with the offset on your rims

what offset are your wheels please?

Thanks

Jon

I would use this method to determine what will fit in your car. I measured about twenty times before ordering my wheels and they fit perfect. Good luck!

I would use this method to determine what will fit in your car. I measured about twenty times before ordering my wheels and they fit perfect. Good luck!

Thanks, I think I should be okay

It will be tight though.

I'm a little concerned about doing this on 10 inch wheels though, will this change the way the 275 tyres will be on the car? Rather than say running on 8 inch wheels.

Thanks

Jon

I can't help with the tires, but is that a copper brake line? If so, I think it's a safety hazard.

275/60/15's are usually only recommended up to a 15x9.5" rim. Typical is 15x8 or 15x9. It should work, but the tires will be a little stretched. I'd much rather run 9" wide rims with that tire.

With a 15x10" and 5.5" backspace your clearance on the quarters is going to be TIGHT. You're going to have to be spot on to run 275's anyway. Ideally, you'd probably want about 5.75" backspace on a 10" rim. Better to have a little more backspace than a little less, if you have too much you can adjust with a small spacer. Too little and you're stuck.

If it were me, I'd be looking for a 15x9" with 5" to 5.25" backspace or a 15x8 with about 4.5" to 4.75" backspace.

Thanks guys, looks like im going to have to mini tub this thing to get the wheels i want on it :D

Jon

Looking real good. now you can tuck some big rubber in there. I'm running 275 40 r 17's on my Cuda with stock wheel wells but I moved my leafs inboard.

-
Back