Another " will it fit" help question

-

Haney

www.carsonandironmt.com
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have my back wheel spacing and tire size figured out. Pretty straight forward because it is not moving around like the front.

For the front... On a 72 Dart Swinger with 73+ Disk brake Conversion will a 17x7 with 4.5" of back spacing and a 225/50/17 tire fit and look correct on this car? With my measurements, I am thinking they will, but want a gut check before I lay out the cash.

Is there a better combination fo wheel size / backspacing / tire size for the front that I should use?

Thanks in advance.....

I ended up with a 17x7 and 4.75 back spacing for my 69 with LBP discs, but, the 70-up cars have a bit more room in the from wheel well.

Thanks for the reply and link..... I read all of it. What size tire did you end up with on the front? Did you put same size in back too? Can you post a picture?

Thanks,

I haven't bought tires yet as I'm waiting on new seat belts before I buy new tires. For the front I'm going to run a 215/50/17 on a 7" wide rim and 245/45/17 on the rear with a 8" wide rim.

I haven't bought tires yet as I'm waiting on new seat belts before I buy new tires. For the front I'm going to run a 215/50/17 on a 7" wide rim and 245/45/17 on the rear with a 8" wide rim.

You can run a 225/50/17 if you run the correct backspacing. Needs to be 5.5" min backspacing on a 7 or 8" wide rim.

What about a 215/55/17 with on a 17x7 with 4.5 " backspacing?

Could rub the bottom of the front fender lip.

225/60/15 15x7 with 4.25" backspacing is a very close fit. And might rub depending on alignment and past collision body work. It's very close. Someone here has tried it on a 67-69 barracuda and it rubbed in reverse backing out of a driveway. I ran them for years with no problem.

I think that a 215/55/17 with on a 17x7 with 4.5 " backspacing puts the outside corner edge of the tire in about the same place. You will be right on the edge, so there will be all kinds of little factors that can make the difference.

Could rub the bottom of the front fender lip.

225/60/15 15x7 with 4.25" backspacing is a very close fit. And might rub depending on alignment and past collision body work. It's very close. Someone here has tried it on a 67-69 barracuda and it rubbed in reverse backing out of a driveway. I ran them for years with no problem.

I think that a 215/55/17 with on a 17x7 with 4.5 " backspacing puts the outside corner edge of the tire in about the same place. You will be right on the edge, so there will be all kinds of little factors that can make the difference.

Thanks for the reply AUTOX!!!! So, would a 225/50/17 on a 17x8 with 5.5" be the best fit for the front?

Thanks for the reply AUTOX!!!! So, would a 225/50/17 on a 15x8 with 5.5" be the best fit for the front?

I think you meant 17x8 rim.:mrgreen:

A 5.5" offset might be too much. I just mocked up my new rims and my 17x7 wheel with 4.75" back space has about 1" until it will come in contact with the tie rod. I too have 73' up front discs. 225 is perfect for a 7" wide rim. measure to be sure on your car.

Yes, I did..... Thanks Dano!

Man, getting the right size tires/wheels on these cars is painful! It would not be bad if it wasn't that a mistake could cost you big $$.

That's why I ended up going custom. Didn't want the headache of spacers, modifying the wheels and rotors to get it all to kind of fit. If you want to avoid disaster, buy a Percy's wheel right or equivalent. I just used the wheels and tires I had, took a ton of measurements and got what I needed. The 67-69 Dart have smaller wheel wells.

-
Back