Antenna Options

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im starting the reassembly of my car and was thinking about my antenna. The original one was broken and I didnt really like that telescoping, thick, non flexible antenna anyways. I was debating about a power antenna but not sure if they will fit. Otherwise what have some of you used or did you just stick with the factory one? Oh the car is a 71 Scamp.

Mine was non telescoping some one stole it lol Idk about electric though I'm sure you could make one work but haven't seen a stock one unless it was a bigger car. My 70 300 had one.

I like the "new" solid antennas. Biggest advantage to the telescoping ones was "back when" we all listened to AM radio. Yeh....that's right, we actually DID

DISadvantage to the telescoping ones is RF noise due to looseness, and you don't need the long length on FM

The solid masts are a LOT harder for hoodlums to break off

u could go with a cell antenna mounted under the dash and smooth the hole over this has been told to me by a few people, i like the old springy ones solid mast

I like the under dash hidden, looks better that way.

The solid masts are a LOT harder for hoodlums to break off

Do Hoodlums actually do that? What's the point of that? "Oh I'm really cool, I just busted an antenna yay" WTH

You don't see this much anymore, but I can remember seeing folks with some ugly coat--hanger mess "rigged" for an antenna.

aerial1.jpg

Then o'course, there's the "whackers" Bein' referred to as "hamsexy" is NOT a compliment!!!

25843d1257202792-secret-service-antennas-antenna-car-1-lrg.jpg

pork4.jpg

dsc01287.jpg

500x_the_ham_car.jpg

I think it's the same group that thinks it's fun to bash in mailboxes......drunk teenagers.

Guy down the street from me concreted the pole(inside) and 2"around the mail box itself, than made it look like a wood pole and wooden mail box because people kept hitting it with baseball bats. 1 week later some 17 year old punk hit it with a metal bat as his friend drove the car. The mail box seriously fuc!ed that kid up! Right arm broke in 3 different places, left wrist destroyed, facial bones totally broken, lost permanent sight in his right eye and partial sight in his left eye. Some brain damage as well. I thought it was funny as all hell getting what you deserve. The owner only said stupid kid when I talked with him. That said he did get sued in court over the injuries but the judge basically threw the book at the kid and his parents about the stupidity of his actions. The owner was order to replace the mail box though. I think the owner got his point across, he moved a 1.5 years afterward because a job relocation to Florida I think it was.

Tell me more as my 65 Dart wagon came without a radio and I'd rather not cut the fender for one

I saw it at best buy (I'm not close enough in my build to be installing a radio), when I talked to him he said the most common places to mount are under the rear package tray or on the firewall closest to the base of the windshield.

Holy Antennas, in those pics! That gives me some options but I think I'll pass on all those! LOL

I wouldnt mind a antenna like what is on todays cars. As for going with a underdash, that would have been a option before I painted the car but I have no way to hide the hole now. I will be mounting it in the current location. Has anyone mounted a newer antenna? If so how do you like it?

-
Back