"Anti-Car" Second opinion? It's still ugly

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So he goes into great detail about how much trouble it was to build, title, license, and insure, and now HE wants US to buy it. AND it's ugly to boot

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/3101098213.html

==============================================================
One-of-a-kind Anti-car. This 2011 Assembled motorcycle is a replica of a 1959 Velorex. It started life as a 2010 Sunl Spider 150. I bought it on Ebay with 510 miles on it. The listing said "street legal in every state but California." When I took it to the DMV to get it licensed in Oregon they refused. I fought with the DMV in two offices and while it had a motorcycle plate in Texas and a clear title, Oregon came up with every possible reason to refuse to license it. They said no. "It looks like a dune buggy and cannot be licensed for the street." I took it home and cut it up, reconfigured it, and finally got an Oregon title as a 2011 Assembled motorcycle. Insurance was the next battle. My agent wanted $360 a year for the minimum requirement for liability and damage. I told him "Yes. It is a modified motorcycle. It only goes 40 miles per hour and it is not going to fall over. Everyone sees it." I went shopping elsewhere. I had started to build something like a Messerschmitt and tried to get it insured as a classic replica. The company said, "Come back when it looks more like a Messerschmitt. I researched other vehicles from the '50s and decided I could build something like a Velorex. Bingo! I had it insured as a Velorex replica with full coverage, a value of $5000, and a premium of $40.

Washington state does not require a motorcycle endorsement or a helmet with this vehicle.

I have taken the doors off for summer.

I live in the high mountains of Northeast Oregon and love scooters. I wanted something I could drive in the winter, and while the Sunl Spider could get around in the snow, it was way too cold and wet.

The Veloreplica solves that. I built a custom frame and a body built of Coroplast. Weight was the enemy. I used the pan and the tubes of the Sunl Spider to hold a jump seat from a '80s Volvo wagon. The seatbelts are from a '60s Alfa Romeo. The headlights are from a Dutch Donkervoort which was a replica of a 1964 Lotus Super Seven. They give the front end the look of the Velorex which is dominated by the big headlights in front. The world car was taking shape. Quarter inch mild steel rods provided a light-weight structure for the bodywork. Suicide doors are faithful to the Velorex in style and function and are formed out of KV shelf tracks.

There you have it. A custom 3-wheel motorcycle which insures for $40, gets a reported 70 mpg, and will keep you dry while cruising city street or back country roads. Remember, the top speed is 40 mph.

Replacement parts? The engine and automatic drive train are Chinese scooter parts which are sold under several different brands in America. I talked with one Chinese scooter owner in Portland who had over 40,000 miles on his. The body panels are coroplast which is available from any good sign shop. I bought 4 x 8 sheets from Home Depot. Advertising? Coroplast is designed to make signs so your business could be emblazoned on the sides of the ultimate Green vehicle.

Is it serious? No. Is it fun? It's a hoot! Everyone who has driven it returns with giant smiles. Those drivers include lawyers and aerospace accountants. Take the doors off in the summer. No helmet required if you have a seat belt (in this state). Putt around in the shade and generate smiles wherever you go.

I have receipts for between $3000 and $4000.

This one is done and the battle is won.

Must sell to make room for the next four three-wheel projects in my garage.

5I35Kd5M23Ec3G53p1c6pa27f541669951315.jpg

"Is it serious? No. Is it fun? It's a hoot! Everyone who has driven it returns with giant smiles. Those drivers include lawyers and aerospace accountants."

Aerospace accountants? LOL, this guy sounds like he has a serious stick up his a**.

"Is it serious? No. Is it fun? It's a hoot! Everyone who has driven it returns with giant smiles. Those drivers include lawyers and aerospace accountants."

Aerospace accountants? LOL, this guy sounds like he has a serious stick up his a**.
Seems more like he's having fun with it to me ha.

I think it's neat that he kinda built the whole thing. Novel idea. Might be fun to have, but I have more important things to spend money on, and it doesn't look like it'd go mud-riding very well.

He's an idiot and that thing is a piece of s--t!!!!!!!!! [not trying to sugarcoat my thoughts].

He's an idiot and that thing is a piece of s--t!!!!!!!!! [not trying to sugarcoat my thoughts].

You are correct, sir- I wholeheartedly agree! And the guy's whacko attitude comes screaming through his fantastic prose...

-
Back