Anti Sway Bar Hellwig 55905

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Hey Folks!
I ordered and received a Hellwig 55905 Sway Bar from Summit for $160.99 total.
This is going on my 75 Scamp that did not have a sway bar, and also did not have the L bracket on the lower control arms.
I have the bar through the K Frame, tried both possible position, only one works.
I installed the plates on the K Frame and mocked it all up, nuts very loose.

First Impressions:
The bar and all the parts are very beefy! I'm happy with this product and I think it should work out well. For some reason, the factory painted or powder coated the sway bar in a ugly hammered steel look, something you would expect to see on porch furniture. Hellwig includes a white "grease" in little packets that closely resembles GLUE. I used it, but still may just wipe it off and use actual grease.
I still have to drill the holes for the end link brackets in the lower control arm.
Unfortunately, I don't own a 17/32" drill bit they recommend. I can't find one in local stores as well. Looks like I'll be ordering one on line, or drill a larger 9/16" hole for the supplied 1/2" bolt.
I appreciate any and all feedback. I posted a pic for the pic hounds, lol.
Scamp sway bar 1.JPG

I have a Hellwig bar, same finish. It’s a good piece.
I would probably start with a smaller drill, I don’t think I would go 9/16.
Even a 1/2 may have enough “wobble” for the little bit extra. Or, induce a little wobble, if that makes sense.

Couple of things-

It's hard to tell from just one picture, but the end links don't look vertical in that picture. Which is probably because the L-bracket isn't straight up and down relative to the LCA. Both of those things should happen, the L-bracket should be straight up and down, and the sway bar end links should be vertical, not canted at an angle.

The "glue" like grease is for polyurethane bushings. You have polyurethane bushings with that kit. Using "regular grease" is not what you want to do. Use the grease supplied, it's the right stuff for those bushings.

And, you paid $160 for a sway bar and are complaining they put a cheaper powdercoat on it? Hellwig has used that finish for forever. If you wanted a nice gloss black sway bar, Hotchkis makes them like that. They cost $314.

I've been running the 55905 on my Duster for a couple years now. It's a great, well made sway bar. The Hotchkis sway bar may be "prettier", but for function and cost the Hellwig is hard to beat. Here's a picture of mine, showing the vertical end link position. This is with a set of factory tabbed LCA's. You may need to adjust the length of the end links to get them to be vertical and the sway bar legs parallel to the ground, but that's what you want. That's also something that has to be done with the car at ride height.

IMG_2069.jpg

72bluNblu; thanks for the info on the grease and fitment, I appreciate it. Everything is still very loose on the install. I realize the brackets are not in the right location in the pic. I'll mark it up when I'm ready to drill.
As for the finish I gave my opinion about, I still might have a friend blast it and paint it satin black.

72bluNblu; thanks for the info on the grease and fitment, I appreciate it. Everything is still very loose on the install. I realize the brackets are not in the right location in the pic. I'll mark it up when I'm ready to drill.
As for the finish I gave my opinion about, I still might have a friend blast it and paint it satin black.

Use aircraft stripper on powder coat, it works a lot faster than blasting or should I say a lot less work.

That durn hammertone powdercoat is TOUGH. I would be happy with it. Course there are some people who'll find fault with anything.

That durn hammertone powdercoat is TOUGH. I would be happy with it. Course there are some people who'll find fault with anything.

Or just rattle can what ever color you want over the powder coating. $6.99 can produce some very unique results. Lol!

17/32 drill suggests simply clearing 1/2 bolt. 1/2 drill followed with some wobble around and/or rat tail file would get me there.

-
Back