antifreeze leak after power wash?

-

petedart

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 73 Dart Sport 340, and after power washing the entire engine bay (top and bottom) I've picked up a pretty significant antifreeze leak. It seems to be coming the back center area of the engine. Does this sound like the rear freeze plug, or could it be something else in this area? If it is the rear freeze plug, how difficult is this problem to fix (i.e., do you have to remove the tranny, engine, or both)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Lets hope it is the back of the intake leaking and running down back there.
If one freeze plug is rusted through they all are. Best plan would be lift the engine and replace them all. Good luck

Do you think it is comming from behind the transmission? If so you need to pull it to install a new frost plug. Could be a frost plug in the head? If it is in the rear/back side you may need to pull the head to get at that one. I would check all the hoses, maybe you split one open during the pressure wash and the coolant is seeping to the rear.

My bet is it's the back of the intake, but the best thing to do is wipe the engine clean and dry, then use a pressure tester on the radiator to pressurize the system. You can get the car up in the air ahead of time and have a drop light handy. You should be able to crawl around and over the car to check for the leak.

-
Back