Antifreeze

-
'Green' antifreeze doesn't mean what it used to. The color identifiers are used by multiple products. There's a deep Green for Honda and some other Japanese cars using organoic acid technology (OAT). Those at least are obvious by reading the label.
These days many 'Green' coolants use Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) for corrosion resistance. If it says Universal, its probably a HOAT, with 2 EHA and carboxylates.
2 EHA is best used on completely closed system (no air can get in).

Conventional Green uses inorganic corrosion inhibitors.
The phosphates quickly recoat aluminum, such as in the water pump, and solder, critical in traditional copper radiators and heaters.
Silicates are also used in conventional coolant, and often molybdate and sometimes specific copper corrosion inhibitors.
Old World Industries sells it as Peak Conventional. However around here, the chain store brands are the easiest way to obtain conventional antifreeze. (such as Autozone)

Last edited:
true - the colors are not a great identifier. at one time it was green or pink. Now I think the whole rainbow s available. The original Mopar HOAT is pinkish orange and I am sure many have added pink propylene glycol. The Zerex replacement G-05 is yellow...

Why use 50/50 mix??? Do you like paying $6 per gallon for water????

Buy it straight and mix it 50/50 yourself and you will save $$$$...

How much would two gallons of 50/50 mix cost compared to one gallon of straight antifreeze???? They will both make the same amount when you mix the straight one with water yourself...

Convenience only. I make the assumption the other 50 is deionized.

-
Back