Any 4 door sleepers?

-

Dustey

Reaction score
Been wanting to do a 4 door sleeper for a while now, anyone else have any pics and details about their sleeper builds?

It depends on your definition of a 'sleeper'.....

1970 Valiant, 318 with 3-speed on the floor with manual steering, rubber floor mat and an 8 3/4" with 3.23 gears & HD 10" drum brakes.

No performance mods and it is very fun to drive just as Chrysler built it. :)

68 valiant
DSCN1454.JPG

Sleeper???? Sorta!!
Here is a 64 More door Belvedere poly 318, PB manual steer/brake NO ac. I got it in a trade and I could not make myself part it for that good running engine as I had intended. I installed NEW: AMD windshield back glass, new gaskets for both, new full AMD floor pan, new tires, 2 new 15 x 7 TorqThrusts, windlace, SmittyBilt A100 style seats, etc.' I did all body/paint work,epoxy primed, acrylic urethane single stage PPG topcoat. Runs, drives great and stop too!
Located S E TEXAS. $5200

Sleeper sorta!! 64 More door Belvedere, poly 318, PB, manual steer/brake, NO AC car, runs /drives great. NEW: AMD windshield, back glass, gaskets, full floor pans 4 new tires, 15 x 7 TorqThrust, SmittyBilt A100 style sets, windlace,etc. All rust repaired with metal, epoxy pried, PPG single stage topcoat Nice driver. $5200 located S E Tx.

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

Following along here. I’m looking at building a 72 Valiant 4 door, not quite sure which direction I’ll be going with the engine but I’m leaning towards 408 with EFI backed by a 727.

Sleeper, unassuming Grandma looking car until you floor it and you end up having to clean the crap out of you're pants its so f'n fast.

Jeff

Guy in our club has a 67 Dart 4 door 273-2bbl 4 speed on the floor.

Was there a 273 4bbl hi-po offered every year from 1964 to 1967 with 4-door 4 speed ?

same for 64-66 station wagons?

Another sort of sleeper, 72 Valiant, 318 Magnum, 3 speed on the floor, 8.25 with 3.55s. Hope to slam a 360 Magnum into it one day.

D7628253-29CF-425C-B755-2818377B9EE2.jpeg

Fremont Raceway had several brackets back in the '70's, but I don't remember the "class" cutoffs. Ran mostly low 13's with a best of 12.72 @ 108 MPH. Cruised South Main St. in Salinas on the weekends.

Fremont Raceway had several brackets back in the '70's, but I don't remember the "class" cutoffs. Ran mostly low 13's with a best of 12.72 @ 108 MPH. Cruised South Main St. in Salinas on the weekends.
Maybe cause I’m young and naive but a 273 in the 12s is very impressive to me, what’d you do to get into the 12s? Was it a commando 273?

Dang that’s clean, honestly I feel like four door cars are going to be harder to restore than two doors in the future lol
Like that 64 more door Bel I piced above. No one repops a 4 door door panel for that BUT i was able to find a guy parting a more door and got 4 really nice panels. Yes they were $50 each shipped and I did the yinyl paint deal on them at $20 a can but they are pretty darn nice!
We find better A bodies that were slants than the high performance models that were beat within an inch of their lives! And sometime a really nice survivor 4 door car is there because the owner that bought it new kept it in the garage all its life.

Greatest sleeper four door I've ever seen! On the b-bodies side, DVW's son Dizuster's 62 moredoor.
Patina'ed 62 bel, with a cast crank (at least it was) 360, with a carbed blow-through turbo. 727 and a Dana.
Best et somewhere around 9.60s/140. Tires are the giveaway that its not a 15 second car.

Maybe cause I’m young and naive but a 273 in the 12s is very impressive to me, what’d you do to get into the 12s? Was it a commando 273?

Originally a stock two-barrel 273 which was upgraded as follows: Stock cylinder block bored .060 over (decked/deburred/painted inside and out), stock cylinder heads (gasket matched ports/blocked heat riser/resurfaced), stock intake and exhaust valves (polished/bronze valve guides), stock adjustable rockers, stock forged crankshaft (balanced rotating assembly/main and rod bearing oil clearances raised to .003"), stock full-floating connecting rods (polished, shot-peened, bolt upgrade/bronze bushings). Commando pistons (forged TRW with deeper valve reliefs for camshaft valve lift clearance), steel shim head gasket, Isky solid camshaft (312 advertised duration/.580 lift), Isky dual valve springs, Isky solid valve lifters, aluminum valve retainers, 600 CFM Holley DP on an Edelbrock 340 Tarantula intake manifold and velocity stack, Cyclone fenderwell headers (no extensions), fuel cool-can (used regular ice), Holley electric fuel pump with 1/2" aluminum fuel line, trunk-mounted battery, high-volume oil pump with modified stock oil pan (six quart) and Mopar windage tray. Super Stock leaf springs and SS rear shocks, pinion snubber, custom driveshaft (balanced and retained the factory style ball and trunnion front u-joint), driveshaft loop, scatter-shield with Hays clutch assembly and 30# steel flywheel, Hurst competition shifter, A-833 standard close ratio four-speed (blue-printed with full synchros), 4.56 sure-grip 8 3/4 rear end from '70 Dodge Challenger EBody, 10 inch M & H slicks inflated to 10 PSI (steel wheels with rim screws), front tires narrow Volkswagen Beetle 15" diameter. Mechanical oil pressure gauge, stock coolant and ammeter gauges, top of dash mounted 8,000 RPM electronic tachometer, and separate rev limiter. Launch RPM at starting line 6,000 RPM, shift points 6,000 RPM (full-power shifting), and trap speed 6,400 RPM (and still pulling strong). P.S. Stock radiator with "red" performance fiberglass cooling fan (these days such fans considered dangerous).

Last edited:
I had a member over on FBBO drive from NE Pa to here in SE Tx a coupe weeks ago and bought my '62 Dart roller. I had done all the body/paint and his goal is a cop car with a 426 wedge he has. He left there early one AM and got to Texarkana (Tx La border) about dark. Then it took then to 3 PM next after noon to get here (4 1/2 drive!) they kept getting lost and their GPS was screwed all up!!
They got a huge good deal as RoadKill Junkyard Gold guy whats his name, had just gave $5000 for a like car, needing everything and then paid $1500 to get it from W Tx to where ever in Pa ! He could have bought mine 2 or 3 times for that!

I bought this turd with the sleeper vibe in mind. Aluminum head 360 with solid roller, PTC converter in front of a 904 with Ford 8.8 and drag radials

64380D29-EA48-41BD-84C0-C83F5AFA3B20.jpeg

46F5D0E8-17BD-4F32-A5F2-4AEDAC4A1A7D.jpeg

C00C10AE-841D-40A7-AEB6-48D180DEEF75.jpeg

-
Back