Any 727 experts have some advice?

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Got in my truck this morning and left for another 12 hour day at work. Truck was running fine when I parked it Last night. Got in this morning and now it doesn't shift into drive until about 45 or 50mph, and when I coast it feels like I'm pulling the shifter down into second when it slows to about 25mph. It doesn't seem to slip at all. Just changed fluid and filter about a month ago, and added a bottle of Lucas. Its a bone stock non lock up 727 in a 86 4wd 3/4 ton pick up. Is it a goner or is there something sticking or out of adjustment? The kickdown linkage is set where it's always been, fluid level is correct, and it's always shifted and worked fine until I drive to work this morning. If I'm on the throttle hard it seems to upshift fine. When I changed fluid and filter, there wasn't any debris in the pan and the fluid wasn't burnt, since I change it every 8k miles or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know some of you guys have a lot of experience with automatic trannies

Hey Dartfish
Is the KD return spring ok ? You can check it's returning fully ?
A small amount of kick down can cause late shifts ...
Cheers Peter

I'm pull it in the shop bay and take a look in a little bit when I get caught up with my work and let you know. Thanks. Be too easy if that's all it is.lol. my luck usually don't go that way

This thing has me worried that its just gonna stop working on my way home from work today. Most everything I've owned has been equipped with a manual trans. I've installed several shift kits and done simple stuff to automatics, but I've never really been inside one

The spring is still on there and seems to be pulling on the rod like it always has

This thing has me worried that its just gonna stop working on my way home from work today. Most everything I've owned has been equipped with a manual trans. I've installed several shift kits and done simple stuff to automatics, but I've never really been inside one

I hate to tell you this , but it's very likely there is metal going through the valve body and/or governor causing the valves to stick.
There is almost no other explanation for shifts that late when nothing has changed since it worked fine.
If I were you I'd pull the pan and have a look, as it could save you some money.
(talking from years of trans building experience and not just an opinion)

If metals going through it, you think something broke or is coming apart?

Would a sticking valve cause it to act like I'm manually pulling it down in to second when I slow to about 25mph?

Il check that this afternoon too. I appreciate you guys chiming in. I've read several of your posts in the past and you guys really stand out as being knowledgeable about torqueflights. Ok start with the simple stuff and work my way up. I've built plenty of engines, worked on several manual trannies, but never had a reason to really tear into an automatic except for the occasional shift kit install. Always been kinda intimidated by them

Pulled it in the shop after I got the CAT back together so I could crawl under it and look at it. Didn't feel like crawling around in the sloppy mud this morning. Old kimmer hit the nail on the head. Pinch bolt on the end of kickdown rod came loose. Never cared for the one piece rods you adjust at the trans! Thanks everyone that replied

-
Back