Any A-body restoration guides out there?

-

340sport

Reaction score
I've began searching for some restoration info for my 69 Dart. Can anyone help with some good sources?

None that I know about.

I did a complete down to bare metal, no wiring restoration.

I'd recommend that you start by video taping everything and then photograph everything also. Use plastic bags for all your parts and LABEL everyone of them. I'm the original owner of my '72 Duster 340 (never been in the shop) and have maintained everything all these years. I didn't photo anything before I started and thought that after all the years of ownership that I'd easily know where everything went. WRONG!

Next I did a list, section by section (or item by item), prior to restoring it. When you run into a problem or missing something, write it down so that you don't forget. Then you can go back later and wrap things up.

I agree^^^ I'm in the process with my dart and I tag everything and take a picture of it after tagged.I even tag bolts that go to a certain piece by wrapping them together with masking tape and writing what they go to on them and take a picture.The car will be in pieces for several months if not a year or more depending how far you want to go with it so a simple part now can easily be forgotten when it comes to reinstalling everything.

BTW go to the restoration forums on here and look thru them they are all a little different but all cars are different some need more than others.

I agree with mopar410. Use masking tape and put label on masking tape. Keep like parts together and LABELED!!!!

It was apart for almost a year, all new uphostery and rugs, new paint, new wiring, new braking and fuel systems, rebuilt rearend, rebuilt engine and transmission from two of the best race shops in the SoCal area, and then I started the assembly. Sure wish I'd taken pictures. I did bag and tag everything and unfortunately did not photo anything..... big mistake on my part.

Take more pictures than you remove bolts.
And probably the best restoration guide is just to read and ask questions here.
Alot of us have been driving or around these cars when they were first built.

The best I could reccomend would be the factory service manuals. They are available here for free. Cant remember who or where,but there was a thread that I got them from,and just downloaded.

Just my .02 cents,every nut and bolt you take off,put in a zip lock baggy and label where you took it from !! If you have one different bolt than the others,indicate which hole it came from !!! I know it sounds stupid,but I suffer from CRS disease and would never be able to remember where they came from !!:blob:

Just my .02 cents,every nut and bolt you take off,put in a zip lock baggy and label where you took it from !! If you have one different bolt than the others,indicate which hole it came from !!! I know it sounds stupid,but I suffer from CRS disease and would never be able to remember where they came from !!:blob:
What I did was take a picture while holding the odd length bolt next to the whole before I labeled them.

I'm interested in those manuals if anyone know who has them available.

I have 5 on file in my puter,but it's 1.6 gigs. Might take a bit to email them to you,but if they cant be found any easier I'll help you out. Looks like I have the 69-70 service manuals,the 71 wiring manual and the 72 service manual. I also have one called 70-71 Mopar parts.Not sure exactly what the last file is,havent looked.

-
Back