Any advice on putting the A-833 in?

-

Sinner

Reaction score
hey guys, do you guys have any advice for putting a A-833 in the car? This is the first time for me, and any advice is appreciated. Also any advice on getting the pilot bearing in?

Are you installing it with the engine in the car? Are you using the magnum pilot bearing. If so a block of wood and a hammer will do the trick.

I use a socket turned around backwards with a 3" extension in it for pilot bushings, but if you have it wood would be better/safer
Bronze are pretty easy but you have to be a lot more careful if using a needle bearing pilot.

Also, if you have not already asked about a pilot tool for the clutch disc it makes it quite a bit easier.
I can do it without it since I have done so many, but this is usually the one single hangup most people have installing a standard trans.

hey guys, do you guys have any advice for putting a A-833 in the car? This is the first time for me, and any advice is appreciated. Also any advice on getting the pilot bearing in?
This operation I have done solo in the past with a good bit of effort and recommend a friend to help.

Pilot bearing can be done with a block of wood or the handle side of a wood hammer.

The trans done solo? I would grab some threaded rod and cut it to size to use as a guide to slide the trans on and in.

With a partner, normally my wife, she will move the floor jack up, down, fore & act as per my instruction while I'm under the car moving the trans around adjusting it to slowly go into the pilot bearing.

Get the car up as high as possible for room to move around under.

do you guys have any advice for putting a A-833 in the car?
Here's a couple FWIW..........
First and foremost. Make sure the car is supported so it can't fall on you.
Verify your crank flange can accept the input shaft.
Break any sharp edges on the input spline.
A little lube on the input spline and the OD of the retainer flange.
The ability to turn the output shaft (spare yoke or even the drive shaft) if needed.
Don't draw the trans up with the bolts. Snug them up as you wiggle the trans into the bell housing.
Verify the fork is completely into the pivot and the release bearing spring clips are on both tips.

Might interest you.......
Cant get the tranny to go all the way in... 4 speed

Prepare yourself to discover some all new curse words! LOL but when you finally get it all working properly prepare for the FUN!

Don't crank down on the four transmission mounting bolts to force the transmission to seat flush against the bellhousing. If it wont slid up flush by just pushing it, and you feel the bolts start to require a lot of torque just to pull it with-in a 1/3 of an inch or so from seating; you have a problem. I've had to shorten the input shaft of the transmission before because the crank was not drilled deep enough.

Cut the head off of two long bolts and wind them into the top bell housing bolt holes where the transmission bolts would be. Slide the transmission in with a jack an those two bolts to to hold and guide it. Works for me working alone.

-
Back