Any Barbers on here?

-

zfriedbauer

Reaction score
Hey guys, my Grandfather owns a Barbershop in Anacortes Washington called: The Clipper. Grandpa offered to help me pay to go to a good Barber School and then come up and learn from him, with the hope that when he retires in a few years, I can take over the business. While this is an awesome opportunity, I have no idea what being a barber is really like. Any barbers out there who could give me a decent idea of how it is?

One weird common trait that I have noticed of allot of barbers, is that those that do not exercise have heart attacks and bypass surgeries-not a scientific study, but I asked around some of the men and my family and they said that they noticed that with their barbers as well. -Maybe being on your feet all day without some sort prep or counter active activity might be hard on your heart. Just a stab in the dark heads up.

oh BTW, I cut my own hair every 7-14 days, which is the best set up when your barber is some random amateur underway.

The business would be best near some thorough fare with high traffic, otherwise you might fall off the map in regards to regular traffic.

recommend plastic apron for yourself, that stuff gets everywhere, might be able to sell the hairs to criminals to throw off the DNA (J/K) -I think I saw that on some movie, which was laughable

Basic question.

How are your people skills. Barber is half hair cutter and half psychiatrist.

Barbers likely know more about a person than their own family at times.

Grandpa is right on the main street leading into town, and one of the thing we both talked about was me running the second chair when it gets busy, and it often does. My People skills are great, Especially with Men. Women, well, theyre complicated creatures. haha. As for health problems, ive heard about feet hurting because of the standing. My Girlfriend makes insoles for Doctors so shes going to mold my feet and hook me up with a set. As for heart problems, standing may put stress on the heart, i will definitly lok into this, as my family has a history of heart disease...

All I can say is, there will always be a need for barbers.
If I could have cut hair when I was in the Army, I would have made a small fortune.

25-30 years ago I got to know my barber pretty well. He somehow landed his career without really knowing a whole lot about it. But he really liked it, and the pay was pretty decent. Back then it was $5... Cha-ching another $5... Cha-ching...$5 ...All day long! Seems like it could be a decent opportunity. What does a haircut cost nowadays?

I don't have any advice other than give it a shot. I'll stop in there for a haircut sometime.

Give a military discount for guard and reserve and watch the referrals come in! It is definitely a lucrative career that can relocate anywhere. Good luck if you enter the career field.

It is a skill you can learn from him/school and take anywhere if you decide to move. It is a good opportunity to get in and eventually take over a established business with a existing customer base. Your grandfather is offering you something very rare I would take him up on it.

It is a skill you can learn from him/school and take anywhere if you decide to move. It is a good opportunity to get in and eventually take over a established business with a existing customer base. Your grandfather is offering you something very rare I would take him up on it.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

If you check it out and it doesn't work, what have you lost, really?
You will always be busy and the regulars will tip you. Some quite well.
I always tip my barber and he always finds time to squeeze me in.

Thanks for the responses everyone. To answer some quetions and comments: Discounts for Military is big where hes at, i guess theres alot of coast guard guys up there. I think he charges 10 dollars for a hair cut. and theres not alot of barbers up there so im pretty sure he well set up. Even if i didnt like it, its spending valuable time with Grandpa.

The one drawback now is that you do not "just go to barber school" anymore. You have to go to full blown cosmetology school now. It's a neat thing to do. I thought about it once, myself.

would you just be cutting "dude hair" or would you get into styling lady hair?

makes a huge difference .....I know a guy who cuts dude hair only and then he went to the military and now his job is to cut hair on the new recruit intake. He says its a good job but I know he really works hard. He has had opportunities to do other stuff but he stays so that says something about his job.

:afro::afro:

Thanks for the responses everyone. To answer some quetions and comments: Discounts for Military is big where hes at, i guess theres alot of coast guard guys up there. I think he charges 10 dollars for a hair cut. and theres not alot of barbers up there so im pretty sure he well set up. Even if i didnt like it, its spending valuable time with Grandpa.

There are also a LOT of Navy people living in both Anacortes and Oak Harbor. NAS Whidbey Island is about 15 miles from your Grandfathers shop.

would you just be cutting "dude hair" or would you get into styling lady hair?

makes a huge difference .....I know a guy who cuts dude hair only and then he went to the military and now his job is to cut hair on the new recruit intake. He says its a good job but I know he really works hard. He has had opportunities to do other stuff but he stays so that says something about his job.

:afro::afro:
Just as a side note to all you non-military types, that 1st haircut you get when you come into the military, it isn't free. They charge you for the baldy!

Just as a side note to all you non-military types, that 1st haircut you get when you come into the military, it isn't free. They charge you for the baldy!

looks like they don't make us go baldy but there are a lot of rules about what you cant do. ....which makes sense ......not there for a beauty pageant

Attachments

• female-unauthorized-hairstyles-1-huffpo.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 110
  • USArmy21.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 109
A Navy Chief and an Admiral were sitting in the barbershop. They were both just getting finished with their shaves, when the barbers reached for some aftershave to slap on their faces.

The admiral shouted, "Hey, don't put that stuff on me! My wife will think I've been in a whorehouse!"

The chief turned to his barber and said, "Go ahead and put it on. My wife doesn't know what the inside of a whorehouse smells like."

A cowboy walked into a barbershop, sat on the barber's chair and said, "I'll have a shave and a shoe shine." The barber began to lather his face while a woman with the biggest, firmest, most beautiful breasts that he had ever seen knelt down and began to shine his shoes.

The cowboy said, "Young lady, you and I should go and spend some time in a hotel room."

She replied, "I'm married and my husband wouldn't like that."

The cowboy said, "Tell him you're working overtime and I'll pay you the difference."

She said, "You tell him. He is the one shaving you."

A guy stuck his head into a barber shop and asked: "How long before I can get a haircut?".

The barber looked around the shop full of customers and said: "About 2 hours." The guy left.

A few days later the same guy stuck his head in the door and asked: "How long before I can get a haircut?".

The barber looked around at the shop and said: "About 3 hours." The guy left.

A week later the same guy stuck his head in the shop and asked: "How long before I can get a haircut?"

The barber looked around the shop and said: "About an hour only."

The guy left. The barber turned to a friend and said: "Hey, Bill, do me a favour. Follow that guy and see where he goes. He keeps asking how long he has to wait for a haircut, but then he doesn't ever come back".

A little while later, Bill returned to the shop, laughing hysterically.

The barber asked: "So where does that guy go when he leaves?"

Bill looked up, tears in his eyes and said: "To your wife!"

-
Back