Any benefit to cutting holes in hood underneath scoop?

-

shanker

Reaction score
On my wife's 75 Duster 360, it's got a Dart Sport scoop. I keep thinking about buying some grommets and cutting holes in the hood, but then before I do something that's not easily un-done try and think what the upside would be.

Do people with vented scoops ever see any realized upsides such as lower under hood temps?

I recently saw pictures of a duster with a Dart Sport scoop on it that someone had posted on facebook, he went as far as cutting the hood opening big enough to graft in an air cleaner lid, then used a thick seal so that when the hood was closed, it functioned as a real fresh air scoop. This car gets driven in the rain, so I'm not sure if it'd be a good thing at that point.

I doubt you'll notice any difference.
I know, in theory, cool air rushing into the carb is supposed to help, but not many engines require an actual, working scoop.
Run around with your hood popped (but secured). You'll see what the difference is, if any.

If you seal the air cleaner to the hood, so all it gets is through the scoop, yeah it's beneficial.

A scoop without holes might cause some upward stress where it attaches to the hood maybe? I would expect the holes would alleviate this?? Maybe???

The old mopar speed secrets book talks about that very scoop you have giving a ram air effect at high speed if the hood is sealed to the carburetor when closed

Also makes washing the car and hood a pain in the butt.......... my 2 cents

You make a foam fitted vinyl covered plug for the scoop intake hole for when you wash it. We have fitted plugs for the intakes and exhausts on the aircraft when they are in storage or being washed. Complete with remove before flight tags.

You make a foam fitted vinyl covered plug for the scoop intake hole for when you wash it. We have fitted plugs for the intakes and exhausts on the aircraft when they are in storage or being washed. Complete with remove before flight tags.
Any decent fabric or Hobby Lobby will have good quality foam for a nice scoop plug. That's what I used on my 65. I had a Max Wedge scoop on it. Made a nice foam plug. Worked real nice.

i doubt if you would notice anything.
..you need a charge of air hot enough to vaporize the gas too for proper mixing.
but there are arguments both ways.

On my wife's 75 Duster 360, it's got a Dart Sport scoop. I keep thinking about buying some grommets and cutting holes in the hood, but then before I do something that's not easily un-done try and think what the upside would be.

Do people with vented scoops ever see any realized upsides such as lower under hood temps?

I recently saw pictures of a duster with a Dart Sport scoop on it that someone had posted on facebook, he went as far as cutting the hood opening big enough to graft in an air cleaner lid, then used a thick seal so that when the hood was closed, it functioned as a real fresh air scoop. This car gets driven in the rain, so I'm not sure if it'd be a good thing at that point.
If the scoop is mounted, then it must have holes in it already for the mounting studs. Why not go all the way now? Just be careful locating the holes so you won't be cutting any bracing.

Last edited:
When you park it and shut it off, the natural convection as the heat rises out through the holes will cool it slightly faster. Only helpful in the summer perhaps. Benefits are likely negligible.

Somewhere is a template, on the web perhaps. Measure twice, etc,

Anything you can do to cool the air off going into the engine will make the engine run cooler, give detonation resistance and make more power. If you seal the scoop to the air cleaner, you will probably need to retune the carburetor.

Get a spare hood and knock yourself out.

I've cut the hole in order to clear a taller intake setup.

I am doing that very thing to my Shelby Dakota. Always loved the Dart Sport scoop. Ended up with a free aftermarket one a couple of years ago, so I picked up a spare hood to mount the scoop to, so I don't run my original hood. I am currently putting a thrown together 360 with a 2 inch carb spacer that will put the air cleaner into the hood in the Shelby. So....... I am going to cut a big hole in the hood to clear the air cleaner. It is an open sided cast Edelbrock air cleaner, so I am also going to get an element tall enough to almost touch the inside of the scoop. Figure if I have to cut the hole, I might as well make it worth it.

My avatar car (72 Demon 408) has a 6-pack glass hood in it. I was concerned about vapor lock at the track since I don't have a cool can on it. To date, I've not had any vapor lock/heat related issues with it. Surprisingly, I can even leave the hood down and not see any issues. Perhaps the chimney effect of the scoop helps? I dunno...but it sure is easier to deal with at the track than my 69 Charger was!!

I cut the holes in my 70 Duster, I got the duel scoops. It really cooled the engine compartment down. Before the holes you could feel the heat from the engine bay when driving. I parked once in a friends garage and he mentioned how much heat it threw off. After the holes the engine bay was definitely cooler. The engine never did overheat before the holes but it did run cooler after them. I didn't seal them to the carb, just let the air flow through. Was freaking nervous cutting a 4 1/8 hole in that hood though!! I have never really noticed water getting into the engine compartment, don't drive it in the rain much and when washing it I don't shoot the hose directly in there.

106.JPG
017.JPG

I cut the holes in my 70 Duster, I got the duel scoops. It really cooled the engine compartment down. Before the holes you could feel the heat from the engine bay when driving. I parked once in a friends garage and he mentioned how much heat it threw off. After the holes the engine bay was definitely cooler. The engine never did overheat before the holes but it did run cooler after them. I didn't seal them to the carb, just let the air flow through. Was freaking nervous cutting a 4 1/8 hole in that hood though!! I have never really noticed water getting into the engine compartment, don't drive it in the rain much and when washing it I don't shoot the hose directly in there.

View attachment 1715834256 View attachment 1715834257
First time I personally like the scoops body color. Great color.

View attachment 1715834256 View attachment 1715834257
Nice...What colour is that? (sorry OP)

If the scoop is mounted, then it must have holes in it already for the mounting studs. Why not go all the way now? Just be careful locating the holes so you won't be cutting any bracing.

That's about the best argument that could be made...I didn't even think of it from that perspective. I gotta do it now!

-
Back