Any body have a weiner dog?

-
They keep 2 of them behind electric fence now, the ***** dog belongs to his mother and can get thru the fence of their place. I have thought about filling a couple hotdogs with antifreeze.
YEAH I THINK U`LL HAVE TO DO SOMETHING TO GET THEM TO DRINK/EAT IT, I TRIED LEAVING SOME IN AN OLD HUBCAP, THEY WOULDN`T TOUCH IT !!
As always disregard the caps------------can`t seem to keep my finger off it!

----------------ANTIFREEZE-------------
Ended up adopting a 4 year old Jack Russell terrier. He seems to be a really good dog.Gentle and smart. Likes to show off his big teeth. Not aggressive at all. His name is Eddie.

photo0_2.jpg

20180915_225325.jpg

I have a wiener and I am a dog that count.
Here is my buddies
0815171959a.jpg
though....

Anybody here have a Dachshund? Wife and I are thinking of adpoting a year old male.Anything I should no in advance.No other pets in the home. Only one grandkid on weekends. Dog will rarely be left alone all day long. We have had 3 boxers and a boston terrier in the past. So this breed would be all new to us.

My neighbors drag race their dachshunds and do pretty well. The wife and I had done and she was a great little dog.

I think most breeds are more indicative of their owners than the breeds.

My neighbors drag race their dachshunds and do pretty well. The wife and I had done and she was a great little dog.

I think most breeds are more indicative of their owners than the breeds.
Agreed, my whippit is fast and quick like me...

Hippie lettuce is know to change time referencing.
Well yeah the hippie lettuce one does make me laugh every time. I'm the one who gets everything done and you have a bellhousing still laying on your floor but I'm the one who's doing the hippie lettuce? LOL yep that one gets me everytime...

So you been chasing me all over the Forum and now you personally emailed me to tell me I'm a dick head? Out here on the public forum is there anything else that you'd like to say? If not maybe the monitors here can slow you down a little bit?
It was until I bumped into you.

So you been chasing me all over the Forum and now you personally emailed me to tell me I'm a dick head? Out here on the public forum is there anything else that you'd like to say? If not maybe the monitors here can slow you down a little bit?
WOW. y
No... Dick Head is all

719760CC-62A2-4E61-98F0-71A29A6436BC.jpeg
We always had dachshunds growing up as a kid. I’ve had two now as an adult.
There are a few things to know about the breed for sure.

1. They are brave, truly fearless, but often to the point of being obnoxious. If not socialized VERY WELL this can and does lead to them being insanely aggressive to larger dogs. Out of nowhere, faster than lighting, they will take off after, and attack larger dogs. To avoid this, they must be taken out and exposed to strange dogs regularly. Having another large dog at home won’t work.

2. “They are hard to house break” that is partially true. The truth is they know you want them to go outside, but they don’t care. If it’s raining, ain’t happening, morning dew on the grass? Ain’t happening. Too cold or snow? Pffft, ain’t happening. Or if you piss them off? Yea, they will piss and **** in the house out of spite. You can easily teach them to ring a bell hanging on the doorknob when they want to go out, but that is only if they aren’t purposely waiting for their chance to stick it to the man via a turd.

3. They have to have their teeth cleaned every 12-18months. They have a habit of holding chewed food in their cheeks. Hours after they are fed, you’ll look over to see them chomping on the little snack they “saved”. They will also instinctively try to “skin” things like tennis balls, furry toys, etc. They use their tiny front teeth leaving them with all these fibers lodged between their teeth right at the gum line, or under it. This causes SEVERE gum disease, SEVERE bad breath, and if unchecked, infection that can make its way to their sinuses and kill them. Their teeth is often the cause of their irritability when they become seniors, they are hurting, and are in no mood to put up with your ****.

4. As stated earlier, their backs. This also goes back to the whole bravery thing. It doesn’t matter where they are, sleeping on the back of the couch, being held while you are standing, or at the top of the stairs..they hear a knock at the door, their toy squeak, etc, they will launch off like a rocket and hit the ground running. This is hell on their backs as they age, and leaves them in pain and paralysis.

5. They bark, a lot, at everything. It’s not really a bark as it is them alerting you, like a popping bark.

6. They are gluttonous. If allowed to, they will eat themselves to death. I don’t mean figuratively, I mean literally. You have to give them measured food. And once they taste table scraps, game over, like feeding a gremlin after midnight.

7. They can get out of any yard. They are highly intelligent problem solvers. They will find a way, be it brain or braun, if they want out, it happens. Luckily the small shock collars work really well, but they learn it’s the collar, and if they aren’t wearing it, all bets are off.

8. Also they do have high prey drive. Squirrels, birds, and unfortunately sometimes cats(strange cats anyway), although usually they are very friendly to cats. Using a flirt pole really really works at keeping them healthy and keeping their drive satisfied.

All this aside, they do make great pets and are great with kids and other pets in their family. They are incredibly athletic despite their body composition and have unique personalities.

The pic is Elvis, chasing the flirt pole.

JoeSPB is pretty much dead on with his comments.
They are fearless, let a big dog come into their territory and they will be all over it. They Just don't realize they might die as a result. They are extremely smart and loving. As mentioned before, they can get a paralyzed back. They don't need to jump off sofa, bed, etc.
Before I moved here to Tx and have neighbors across the road, I lived way out where nothing could bother mine. But my little buddy Rd Dog, jumped off the sofa one time too many. Came home one day to find him dragging his hind end. I bought him a $300 set of doggie wheels, but he hated them, and was always getting caught in a fence somewhere and I was off looking for them. I kept is legs bandaged and cleaned every day. I could not bear to put him down for 9 months. He still loved life, we had a special bond, I swear he could read my mind. No joke. Finally took him to the vet and put him to sleep. I swear he knew what was coming. It has been a year and a half and I miss him every single day.
I still say they are wonderful little rascals, but they do have their quirks. But so do I !!!!!!

View attachment 1715224838 We always had dachshunds growing up as a kid. I’ve had two now as an adult.

1. They are brave, truly fearless, but often to the point of being obnoxious. If not socialized VERY WELL this can and does lead to them being insanely aggressive to larger dogs. Out of nowhere, faster than lighting, they will take off after, and attack larger dogs. To avoid this, they must be taken out and exposed to strange dogs regularly. Having another large dog at home won’t work.

2. “They are hard to house break” that is partially true. The truth is they know you want them to go outside, but they don’t care. If it’s raining, ain’t happening, morning dew on the grass? Ain’t happening. Too cold or snow? Pffft, ain’t happening. Or if you piss them off? Yea, they will piss and **** in the house out of spite. You can easily teach them to ring a bell hanging on the doorknob when they want to go out, but that is only if they aren’t purposely waiting for their chance to stick it to the man via a turd.

3. They have to have their teeth cleaned every 12-18months. They have a habit of holding chewed food in their cheeks. Hours after they are fed, you’ll look over to see them chomping on the little snack they “saved”. They will also instinctively try to “skin” things like tennis balls, furry toys, etc. They use their tiny front teeth leaving them with all these fibers lodged between their teeth right at the gum line, or under it. This causes SEVERE gum disease, SEVERE bad breath, and if unchecked, infection that can make its way to their sinuses and kill them. Their teeth is often the cause of their irritability when they become seniors, they are hurting, and are in no mood to put up with your ****.

4. As stated earlier, their backs. This also goes back to the whole bravery thing. It doesn’t matter where they are, sleeping on the back of the couch, being held while you are standing, or at the top of the stairs..they hear a knock at the door, their toy squeak, etc, they will launch off like a rocket and hit the ground running. This is hell on their backs as they age, and leaves them in pain and paralysis.

5. They bark, a lot, at everything. It’s not really a bark as it is them alerting you, like a popping bark.

6. They are gluttonous. If allowed to, they will eat themselves to death. I don’t mean figuratively, I mean literally. You have to give them measured food. And once they taste table scraps, game over, like feeding a gremlin after midnight.

7. They can get out of any yard. They are highly intelligent problem solvers. They will find a way, be it brain or braun, if they want out, it happens. Luckily the small shock collars work really well, but they learn it’s the collar, and if they aren’t wearing it, all bets are off.

8. Also they do have high prey drive. Squirrels, birds, and unfortunately sometimes cats(strange cats anyway), although usually they are very friendly to cats. Using a flirt pole really really works at keeping them healthy and keeping their drive satisfied.

All this aside, they do make great pets and are great with kids and other pets in their family. They are incredibly athletic despite their body composition and have unique personalities.

This is been my exact experience and as I love the dog as much as possible, in the long run it's just far too much to put up with. There's too many better choices of dogs with better demeanors. Again I love my dog but to purposely go out and get one? not me....

What?
No body posted this yet?

View attachment 1715225627

Confession time.
Me first.........
Yea, I was young.
And I regret it to this day.

Kelli Bender
PeopleSeptember 11, 2018
Vet Reveals What Happens in a Dying Pet's Final Moments, Breaks Hearts Around the World

He was my little buddy. I had Red Dog for yrs. I had cared for him with his rear end paralyzed for 8 month. Cleaned his back legs, wrapped them in vet wrap every day. . But he had come to the end of his trail. WE sat there in the vet's waiting rom for what seemed like the longest of time. He looked up at me with a look in his eyes that he know this was our end together.
I took him into the vets room. I held him as he injected him. I held him and we looked into each others eyes as he passed.

I have had to put down cattle, horses.. did it my self. But I miss that little dog so mch.

View attachment 1715224838 We always had dachshunds growing up as a kid. I’ve had two now as an adult.

Awesome post and 100% spot on.

I'll add no two are the same. My boys' 4 year old dachshund, Enos, isn't much of a barker. His brother from the same litter barks at the drop of a hat, especially at the TV if there's another dog on the screen. (Yes, the dog watches TV.)

Enos is the perfect companion for my kids. Loves to lay next to Cyrus on the couch and sleeps cuddled under blankets. Dog and kid are both high energy and love to play together. If the boys are outside, the dog has to be with them.

Thing about male dachshunds is they are horny little dogs and will try to screw anything at the drop of a hat. Enos has slipped past me more than once to go sniff around the neighbors' house, looking for their little female. If they even *catch* a sent of a female, they are off, and will go off the rails to get to her.

The only others dogs that I have personally owned that are more loyal are the All-Americans I've had the privilege of owning.

ramenth is correct the males are horny suckers!!!!! I have had 4 in my lifetime, an I agree thy are all different personalities. Just like that box of chocolates! I have heard the black ones ate feisty and the red ones more subdued.

I swear my red one could read my mind!!!! He loved to go with me and all I had to do was simply have the though enter my head, and WOW!!!!! his eyes got big he jumped up ( even if asleep), and went off!! Maybe I am a total nutcase, BUT.... I sure miss that little dog!

My buddy, Chase Elliott, named for Bill Elliott’s boy.

He is 15 now and getting tired but had and still has all the typical Dauchsaund characteristics! Mamas dog he is. “What, not me, I didn't do It! He lost his sis a few years ago and she was 15.

EA5415BB-16F3-4588-9EAA-8BB054A284FF.jpeg

4FAE5A17-497B-4BA8-8B84-1FAEAFCD64BC.jpeg

Chase is red and wonderful! He is truly a senior citizen but looks like a youngster!

I miss my RedDog, been almost a year and not a day does by that I do not think of him, and some days shed a tear. Must be something wrong with me in my old age?

Chase is red and wonderful! He is truly a senior citizen but looks like a youngster!

I miss my RedDog, been almost a year and not a day does by that I do not think of him, and some days shed a tear. Must be something wrong with me in my old age?

Nothing wrong there!

We got Chase from the same breeder his sister came from. He was returned twice before we got him and he was about 1 1/2 years old. Must have been abused cause it took him some time to warm up to me and other men. He loves his Mama but likes hanging in the garage with dad too. Every day between 4 and 5 in his favorite stroller. Fiercly loyal and protective and a barker for sure. His sister was the total opposite in ways. Only table scraps he gets is small pieces of baked potato once a weekend or so or he would have ended up looking like this fattty. Who lets their buddy get like that?

5B2D3BA1-7772-468F-BAEA-772269548D64.jpeg

My little dachshund Red Dog would always go out to the arena, after I had been out there bout 20 minutes. I know fool well he went out there to make sure the horse had not dumped my *** and needed help. Like what help would he actually be!????? You cold set your watch by him. ha
He was ready for bed at 7 pm on the dot. I had to tell him I was not ready for bed, suck it up!
I could just have the though about needing to go to town , he could rad my mind. I swear. I did nothing to tip him off!
His vocabulary was huge!

I will find me another plain red one some day. I just can't make myself give the price they want around here for one. Red dog came from a litter in Arkansas. $25 !!!!!! I would give anything for him back!

-
Back