any body running drop spindles?

-

Duster708

Reaction score
i plan on running drop spindles and 18x9 wheels with 275 tire. was wondering if there were any issues with the outer tire rod end

18 x 9 with a 275 up front? I think it will take more than spindle change. That is a bunch of tire for an a-body front fender to swallow.

A 275-35-18 (about 25.6" tall with a section width of 11")......... That's what I assume you would be asking about. 11" up front is huge and will ride like a brick.

i dont care about ride its gona be a track car. i just know the 17x9s had issues with the outer tire rod ends at full lock. i was wondering if the 18's would slip over with the drop spindles i no it can with the stock spindles

I don't think the 18" rims will clear the tie-rod issue. That only gains 1.5" and still puts the wide tire & rim combos right into the tie-rod. I like the stance it achieves, but it sure limits wheel & tire combos.

Tierod2.jpg

Your going to need the parts on hand to test fit. Gotta mock it up firsthand. Your pushing the limits on sizing and not all cars/tires/wheels are identical......IMO obviously

An example, while mocking up the rims on the Demon I'm builiding, 18"s interfered with the AlterK upper control arm. I had never heard of any interference prior to mocking it up and had to re-radius the control arm.

I'll assume you're trying to fit something like 5.5 backspacing on there? You'll need to radius the bottom of the front fender about 1x3" or 1.5x3" triangle.

It's that backspacing that runs into the OTRE. It's close with a 17". 18" give 1/2" more clearance. BUT the 2" dropped spindle relatively move the OTRE down 2" ! Even with 18" rims, if you want to run something like 5.5" backspacing I think you'll have to run regular spindles with no bumpstop or those 1/2" tall poly bumpstops at most.

i dont care about ride its gona be a track car. i just know the 17x9s had issues with the outer tire rod ends at full lock. i was wondering if the 18's would slip over with the drop spindles i no it can with the stock spindles

Was that 17x9 OTRE issue with dropped spindles or regular spindles?

i think it was the 17x9s that had the tie rod issue thats y i thought the 18s would slip over

As Autox said, the drop spindle is going to move that tie rod end down 2 inches, which will probably kill what you're trying to do. Perhaps the Firmfeel lower control arms would be a better way to get a lower stance and still have suspension travel.

Ask Wracks, he's running the dropped spindles
i think he had to go to 8" wide wheels on the front.
search it, he has a write-up here

i didnt think about the firm feel arms.. i was going to get my bars from them maybe ill try that with the 73 up disc spindles

-
Back