Any Difference between a truck and car slant?

-

Palmetto

Reaction score
I have found a guy selling a slant he took from a truck and wondered there was any difference that might prevent it from being dropped in a Duster?

Depends on the year. The later trucks had a different head and valve cover. slantsixdan can tell you for sure. Send him a PM if he doesn't chime in.

IIRC you will need the Duster oil pan and pick up tube for one thing.

What year is each engine?
I will whip out the Hollander Interchange Manuals and see what they say.

The motor mount brackets are different as well. Hay, if you're getting a truck slant, I might be interested in the oil pan and oil pickup as well as the motor mount brackets.

He isn't a Mopar guy and had a good many engines that he has taken out of all types of cars that he is selling. He doesn't know what cubic inch it is either. I have never seen the engine, so I don't know the true condition of it. He is asking 200 bucks for it. If it is in good condition, I don't know if that would be a deal or not.

The 81 and newer heads use a different valve cover as well as hydraulic lifters and valve train. The biggest differences have already been mentioned oil pan/pickup and motor mounts. If the engine is pre-1969(?) then the crank will have a smaller centering hub than a duster would have had.

An unbelievable score would be if it is a mid 60's truck slant with the small block adaptor plate bolted to the bellhousing flange. It would have the crank size issue, but the adaptor plate is worth more than $200.

The slant I plopped in my 76 dart was from an 83 truck...

Use the oil pan + pickup, oil dipstick, distributor and motor mounts from your old /6 for your new /6.

The new slant is hydrolic lifters and the head is a peanut head (no drool tubes). the valve covers are not interchangeable and the gasket is different.

The truck /6 I picked up was a 2bbl with the iron intake but they also came single barrel and also aluminum intakes (the aluminum itakes can be overly porous and can leak apparently)

hope that helps

The motor mount brackets are different as well. Hay, if you're getting a truck slant, I might be interested in the oil pan and oil pickup as well as the motor mount brackets.

I have a oil pan and pick up from a 69 truck motor I don't need and would be willing to part with it
Aaron

The 81 and newer heads use a different valve cover as well as hydraulic lifters and valve train. The biggest differences have already been mentioned oil pan/pickup and motor mounts. If the engine is pre-1969(?) then the crank will have a smaller centering hub than a duster would have had.

An unbelievable score would be if it is a mid 60's truck slant with the small block adaptor plate bolted to the bellhousing flange. It would have the crank size issue, but the adaptor plate is worth more than $200.

Automatic only. The manual trucks (more common) have a huge cast iron dual-pattern bellhousing that works for both engines and will not fit in a car, or work with a car transmission.

Also too, if it is an original truck slant, it's a 225. That's the only slant they ever put in trucks.

IIRC, it will have an engine number prefex of AT2 or AT4.....that was in Oz though.

its 67 and older FYI...

and i cant believe no know has mentions that some truck motors had the low starter location...

:worthles:

:worthles:

Okay here is a picture.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=MOUN...&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:84&tx=110&ty=71

I don't believe I have ever seen an installed picture of the bellhousing adaptor. They are very uncommon and are pretty obvious if you are looking at one on an engine that is not installed. If you want to see pictures of an uninstalled adaptor plate there are pictures on ARengineering.com from when they made a few in aluminum, the originals were cast iron.

I have truck motor mount brackets for /6 dodge ram if your interested

Okay here is a picture.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=MOUN...&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:84&tx=110&ty=71

I don't believe I have ever seen an installed picture of the bellhousing adaptor. They are very uncommon and are pretty obvious if you are looking at one on an engine that is not installed. If you want to see pictures of an uninstalled adaptor plate there are pictures on ARengineering.com from when they made a few in aluminum, the originals were cast iron.

Dang, I was hoping to learn something today!!
But that sure is a pretty picture:toothy7:

Some slant truck engines had some "heavy duty" pieces. Don't know what years, but they had the designation of 225-3. They came from the factory with shot peened cranks, positive exhaust valve rotators, and double roller timing chains. The "high or low" starter location, had nothing to do with the engine. It had to do with the transmission/bellhousing used. Remember the starter mounts to the trans/bellhousing, not the engine.

Just a FYI. All slant six forged cranks came from the factory "tuftrided". That is a surface hardening treatment, that is just a few 10 thousands of an inch deep. Once a slant six crank is ground undersize that hardend surface is gone.

-
Back