any doubts about needing Zinc in oil?

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I thought I would post an example of what happens when you don't have Zinc in your oil on a flat tappet engine. It was so much fun rebuilding my 383HP, I had to do it twice. This happened in 2007 before I realized the Gov't mandated all Zinc be removed from the oil. I did proper break-in, but used regular GTX like all the other cars I have. it took a thousand Miles.

After that I did my research, and owning Cummins trucks since 1995, I found that Diesel has almost all the properties of oil made in 1969. That year Chrysler wanted at least 1080PPM in zinc in oils used in their cars. Rotella presently has 1050PPM.
So, I started using 15-45 Rotella, and for good measure added Lucas Zinc plus (PN 10063) as well. One 16 oz bottle will take Zero zinc oil to about 5,000 PPM. So, I add about 4 oz per oil change for safety. Seven years running with all the old cars, and they run so much better. Also, Diesel oil bonds to the parts as well, and that sound one gets when the engine is dry starting after extended storage is a memory! The engines start at -10 below with no problems, and my mileage Improved. A Bonus is around here diesel oil is on sale a lot, so it is cheaper as well. I've used mobil oil as well, and it works! my cars are bone stock restored to original, so this suggestion is for people like me, and I'm sure there are other good products as well. I like changing my oil for $20 a car, so it is Inexpensive as well. Look at lobe # 3 from the right, as it is round. The lifter looks like a .22 bullet went through it. To show my current A body project, I included a picture of that as well. Original 273V8 HP four speed 1965. Almost done!
I hope this advice helps somebody else out there, which is why FABO exists,right?

Attachments

• 048.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 051.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 055.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 028.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 021.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 387
If you look closely at Top fuel and Funny cars sponsor decals you see that they all run decals from Justice Brother care care products , the reason for this is they use JB part # 24p the product is called heavy duty vehicle , all you need is 1.5 ounces of this for every 5 qts of oil and you will never have a wear issue again .

Unfortunately your photos are terribly out of focus

thanks, it 's hard to get that round lobe, too far away, it looks normal, too close,,,,the hole in the lifter is clear through. I had to boil that block, as the lifter material turned to a very fine powder. all is well now though!

Thanks! if just one guy sees this, Than that is good. The reason I don't use just a zinc additive with the new oil, is because the new oils are missing more than just Zinc. The newer engines have very tight clearances, are made of different materials, and the factory sees the new formulated oil that drains back fast as an emissions asset, and Screw lubrication. my 2013 patriot is a good example, where it is quieter and smoother with 10-30, but Jeep says it needs 5-20. To them it's all about mileage. In contrast, Diesels rely on the ability of the oil to bond to the Internals, which old gas engines benefit from as well. I found the lifters stayed pumped up, the oil pumped stayed primed better, my oil pressure was higher, and the cam was lubricated. Also, In the heat of the summer my engine temp was lower as well. I hated starting my 440 after a long winter and hearing that metallic tone while it was warming up! I can say for a fact in the old days they never had that sound. it may be my imagination, but once I put the stuff in my 340, the car had a faster throttle response as well. I think it was saying, AH! it's 1969 again!

If you look closely at Top fuel and Funny cars sponsor decals you see that they all run decals from Justice Brother care care products , the reason for this is they use JB part # 24p the product is called heavy duty vehicle , all you need is 1.5 ounces of this for every 5 qts of oil and you will never have a wear issue again .

Where the heck can ya buy this stuff??? Summit says they can't ship it, in-store pickup only.

NAPA, O'Reallys has zinc additive. camshaft break in

I believe JB says 15 oz to five quarts, just like Lucas 10036. You can order lucas direct on line from an oil company in California. O'reilly's wanted 15.00 for one lousy bottle. I get a case(12) at 8.95 each. good for 50 oil changes if I add only 4oz with rotella. actually, Rotella by itself offers enough Zinc and other additives to not have to worry about it at all. I add more because all my engines are under 1,000 miles since a rebuild. If 1050 is adequate , 3,000ppm is better.

Been using the Lucas break in additive,with the flat tappets. Recently went Magnum and hydraulic roller. Lost a lifter/cam lobe in a big block Chevy. Never skimp on lubricants again.

-
Back