Any easy options for Overdrive on an RB????

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I am building a 383 and would like to use a chrysler overdrive trans. My motor will be around 500HP.
What are my Chrysler options?????
I know GV and a host of other outfits sell overdrives for $3400 bucks out the door but SHIRLEY there is a Mopar option????
Chevy has 100 options, Mopar has to have one???

SHIRLEY

IIRC, there is an adapter to run a small block trans behind a B. Find a good trans guy to see if a B case will hold the OD guts.

...and who is Shirley?

Dont call me shirley,lol.I have an article in pdf which runs through the installation of a 518 in a roadrunner.There is loads of info and I'll email it to you if you message me your email addy.

I have been told that the od planetary unit is a piece of junk, that the one that came in a v-10 or diesel trans is far stronger......also the od unit has lubrication issues....

IIRC, there is an adapter to run a small block trans behind a B. Find a good trans guy to see if a B case will hold the OD guts.

...and who is Shirley?

OD guts won't fit any 727, as the tailshaft is much bigger to accomodate the OD gears. If it was that simple you would hear about it all the time:burnout:

Been looking at this extensively lately, since i'm sick of 3 gears behind my 440. Automatic i'll have to agree with the 518 swap, seems to be the cheapest and easiest. The route I probably will end up taking is the T56 manual swap however.

OD guts won't fit any 727, as the tailshaft is much bigger to accomodate the OD gears. If it was that simple you would hear about it all the time:burnout:

..I should have used more words in my reply...
Obviously the tailshaft is unique to the OD units. I am not a trans guy so was curious if, other than the tailshaft, the main cases were similar enough to swap the OD specific parts, if any existed.

I have been told that the od planetary unit is a piece of junk, that the one that came in a v-10 or diesel trans is far stronger......also the od unit has lubrication issues....

Hey doug; Im wondering what your trans guy would think of using an aux oil pump to ensure a good supply of fluid to the o.d unit?

..I should have used more words in my reply...
Obviously the tailshaft is unique to the OD units. I am not a trans guy so was curious if, other than the tailshaft, the main cases were similar enough to swap the OD specific parts, if any existed.

No, the main case is different too. And while the weak point on the 518 (or any overdrive) is the overdrive clutch packs, you can fit several more than stock in the housing, so strength doesn't become an issue. The 727 was the strongest stock auto (aside from the allison transmissions), and the 518 builds on that.

I will sell my gear vendors for 700.00 bucks and no adpaters but you can buy one from gear vendors to fit anything.

You can a GV for less than 3400 for a 727.

The adapter will cost you quite a bit. . . . trust me, im a dealer i have had customers switch from trans to trans or trans to t-case and if they don't send the old 1 back....huge cost difference for the adapter

Hey doug; Im wondering what your trans guy would think of using an aux oil pump to ensure a good supply of fluid to the o.d unit?

You drill the oil feed hole in the mainshaft to a larger size.
The std hole is ridiculously small.
No wonder they suffer from starvation to the OD.

You drill the oil feed hole in the mainshaft to a larger size.
The std hole is ridiculously small.
No wonder they suffer from starvation to the OD.
That is how mt buddy has dealt with them in the past........for what it is worth my buddy does not have many good things to say about the 518....

No, the main case is different too. And while the weak point on the 518 (or any overdrive) is the overdrive clutch packs, you can fit several more than stock in the housing, so strength doesn't become an issue. The 727 was the strongest stock auto (aside from the allison transmissions), and the 518 builds on that.

Hmm. Can you use hi performance clutches and steels in them? Are they available is more like what I should ask.

Also from what I have heard about G.V,they might not even sell you an adaptor. Then you are stuck with a gv unit you cant sell or use.

I'd absolutely love to have a gv unit,but they are priced out of this world for me.It would be far cheaper and more practical to change pigs in the diff the day before track,and leave the hwy gears in the reat of the tiume.Sad,but theres no way can I afford a gv.

The 518's weak point............................never mind................this threads always get entertaining. You have got the die hard guys that swear the 518 is the great od unit, the gear vendor crew, which is a great unit but is a bit pricey and then the folks that are just looking for a reasonably priced unit that will live behind a strong big block and don't care what brand it is, just as long as it lowers the cruise rpm....I know this is not of much help for the op, but if you search this forum, as the 518 discussions are scattered around it...and the internet.....you will no doubt find what you need......

Hmm. Can you use hi performance clutches and steels in them? Are they available is more like what I should ask.

Also from what I have heard about G.V,they might not even sell you an adaptor. Then you are stuck with a gv unit you cant sell or use.

I'd absolutely love to have a gv unit,but they are priced out of this world for me.It would be far cheaper and more practical to change pigs in the diff the day before track,and leave the hwy gears in the reat of the tiume.Sad,but theres no way can I afford a gv.

Yes you can use the hi performance clutches in them. They make thinner frictions and steels that allow you to fit several more than stock in the od unit.

And yes inkjunkie, the weak point is the OD unit, but for the price, you can't beat it. A properly built 518 will handle whatever most people can throw at it, and cost quite a bit less than the GV unit.

The op said it was going behind a big block, so don't forget the $600 or so adapter. Not saying that it will not work for some, I just have the parts breaking demon over my head, I even broke the Allison in my truck. I did speak to my trans guy about it and he laughed. He said to make one durable , for me because of the above mentioned parts breakage demon, there are better options for the same $$$. That is all that I am saying...

Yes you can use the hi performance clutches in them. They make thinner frictions and steels that allow you to fit several more than stock in the od unit.

And yes inkjunkie, the weak point is the OD unit, but for the price, you can't beat it. A properly built 518 will handle whatever most people can throw at it, and cost quite a bit less than the GV unit.

Yes,the INITIAL cost wil be less BUT...if you break it once you are now in the hole compared to a GV. O.K, maybe you could brake it twice before being in the hole,but who in the hell likes changing out trannies,lol.

In still in the wind for an overdrive. You never know I may just opt for the A 833 o.d. Question for that is,whats it gonna cost to upgrade an alum housing 833 to my needs?

Initial A 833 cost; $250
Passon hemi overdrive conversion gears $1800
Case mods? $$?
Misc linkage,clutch pedal etc etc

Probably looking at about $3000 min.

Add 20%,for the mysterious 20% Canadian inflation

Yes I've been there a few times. Thier recommendations are the right way to control the o.d,and for all we know maybe the failures are because folks try to control them with a manual switch

I am building a 383 and would like to use a chrysler overdrive trans. My motor will be around 500HP.
What are my Chrysler options?????
I know GV and a host of other outfits sell overdrives for $3400 bucks out the door but SHIRLEY there is a Mopar option????
Chevy has 100 options, Mopar has to have one???

SHIRLEY

Also the A-833 o.d is an option for you. The front main shaft bore needs to be bushed,but it should hold up for everyday driving and maybe a bit of punishment as well. The guts of th o.d 833 are weak and wont take a constant pounding,but I have it on very good authority (Jamie Passon) that the unit will be o.k for just cruising with the bore getting bushed.

Jamie went over the intended use with me very thoroughly. I must say that I dont think there is a better 4 speed or mopar guy around. Super good fella~!

I did also discuss developing a lesser cost o.d unit,but he feels very strongly( and is correct) that anything made to meet cost requirements would have to be built in china. We both say no fricking thanks to that! I'd rather have the good stuff and he would rather not sacrifice his companies name or quality.

As for chevie,well it's cheap junk already so there you go.

-
Back