Any experience with Eastwood's Optiflow roll-on primer??

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to do some research on prepping/priming my car before I start to paint, and I came across this video on the Tube by Eastwood. It's a roll-on epoxy primer called Optiflow. Eastwood has a decent reputation, so I'm wondering if they would put out a shoddy product. Seems convenient, but how on earth would you be able to achieve a smooth finish without roller lines?

Has anyone used this stuff?

Here's what I did.........Since I don't have spray options at my home shop, all of the bodywork I did (exposing a lot bare metal), after prepping, I rolled on or paint brushed regular 2k epoxy primer to protect the metal. Now that the car is complete and ready for paint, I will have the paint shop give my primer a once over to clean it up and respray whatever primer/sealer etc. that they do to prep it for paint. If they don't like what I put down, they can sand it all off......Shouldn't take much to do that if they so desire.

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1692.JPG

I have never used this product, but I would and just might. In my opinion it looks like a well thought out, quality and viable product. Remember time is money and spraying has to be way faster, but if you don’t have the skills and and/or the spray equipment, this looks like a valid option for a do it yourselfer. If you don’t plan on painting a boatload of cars, it probably will save you a lot of cabbage in spraying equipment. The only downside is finding a quality body shop that will finish coat your prep work. I would believe the last thing a quality body shop would not want to stake their reputation on a finish coat gone wrong because of your bad prep work.

When I had no compressor, I fixed a few spots on my brother in law's car so he could take it to Mako for a quick paint job. I brushed on 4 coats of rustolium red oxide primer over my bodywork and blocked sanded with wet sandpaper. We then sanded the whole car to 600 grit. Car looked flawless. I would imagine it would be good for someone with no compressor or spray gun. :popcorn:

You can buy a comprssor at HF for like $300 odd dollars a $40 gun and it runs on 110. Buy some epoxy primer and go at it. You will be way ahead.

I’ve got a 24 CFM compressor and a couple guns, I was just wondering how convenient this would be.

Lot's of guys will disagree, BUT FOR ME, I tried it once and it is a dirty filthy thing to do without proper ventilation. That goes for the over-spray and the possible health effects. I choose not to do it and let the pros with the right equipment do it.

:mob: Please don't rag me out. I'm not criticizing those that choose to do it. To each their own.

Lot's of guys will disagree, BUT FOR ME, I tried it once and it is a dirty filthy thing to do without proper ventilation. That goes for the over-spray and the possible health effects. I choose not to do it and let the pros with the right equipment do it.

:mob: Please don't rag me out. I'm not criticizing those that choose to do it. To each their own.
Are you refer to spraying or rolling being dirty and filthy?

I’ve got a 24 CFM compressor and a couple guns, I was just wondering how convenient this would be.
Like mentioned, over spray gets on everything unless you prepare.

Trying to spray any topcoat without a steady and adequate amout of air is a challenge. Can it be done and with better results that a brush? yes. Can you do it? Dunno.

Auto paintless/primers and yes even the filler dust is a health hazard, and anyone an be allergic to such. It an be deadly. Driving to get donuts this AM, I risked my life, but.

Maybe roll on auto paint might be the future, an buyng such material from Eastwood might be the path of the pro paint shop. Dunno.
Don't car.

Roll on looks like a great idea and i think you could do it with any primer once the viscosity is right. As
long as you use a quality DTM epoxy you will get great adhesion and corrosion protection.Don't worry
about a perfect finish you will be sanding it anyway.
Would just save so much work, mess and be much safer!

Are you refer to spraying or rolling being dirty and filthy?

He was referring to those chicks him and... oh, um, never mind I promised not to talk about that incident. In fact, nothing ever happened with those Eastwood girls at SEMA.

I would pick spraying every time. As said it can really mess up your (clean) garage with overspray. I see your from Arizona. I would prime outside unless windy.

I've been happy with the Eastwood products I've used but why try a roll on primer if you're planning on spraying your car at some point? If you already have the equipment, just spray it. Epoxy is easy and simple to spray and it's difficult to make mistakes. Also doesn't have as much overspray as clear does. Don't really need a paint booth to spray it either.

You may wind up costing yourself time by having to sand out rock hard roller lines when the epoxy cures.

Thanks, everyone. With all the feedback given, I think it might make the most sense to spray.

No need to worry about sanding epoxy anymore. New epoxies are very user friendly. Some shops
don't even use high build anymore because newer epoxies are high build and sand easy. This allows
the use of one product for everything.

-
Back