Any fast 318s out there?

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
Just wondering if i should build my 71 318 in my swinger instead of a 360, does the 71 318s have steel cranks? So does anyone out there has some strong running 318s (non stroked of coarse).

i did at one time...replaced it with a 340.my 318 did not have good street manners it had a large cam and 340 heads.it would wind up really hard but sucked to drive in stop and go traffic.it needed more gear and more stall than i had at the time.although i did have alot of fun with it.im alot happier with the 340,mainly because of the increase in low end torque.and it gives up nothing on top compared to my old 318.however i would not hesitate to build another one.

Just wondering if i should build my 71 318 in my swinger instead of a 360, does the 71 318s have steel cranks? So does anyone out there has some strong running 318s (non stroked of coarse).

Build a 340 or 360....

8.5 compression Runs mid 11.s

100_1160_00.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes and no. What do you want to build?

A 318 can be made to get up and go but being down on cubes, they tend to get and act cranky while driving the streets. They'll require more cam, converter and gear to get going and stay equal with a larger engine.

This is where bigger is better. And I like 360's alot.

There cranks can be ethier cast or fordged. This is year dependent. There all steel though.

My full weight Duster has a 7.8-1 1979 318 with bolt on's and a small Crane cam, 904 trans, 3.21 8-1/4 rear on stock tires. She'll run high 14's. OK, not fast, but not bad for a stock dead on it's heals, low compresion 318 with little in the way to speak of in gear and a stock tranny/converter.

Ok i ment forged, i think it is because there is no counterweight on the balancer, this engine only has 89000 miles on it, i was thinking it would be neet building one, & setting it up for alittle nitrous, does anyone make forged pistons for the 318?

They respond like any other engine. Build for performance, get some real compression in it, add decent heads and cam, and off you go. They are basically identical to a 340 minus the reputation and 2.75 cubic inches of bore per cylinder. Yes, you can gvet forged pistons for them, but be aware that you need to have the block square decked t the proper height to get the compression up where it needs to be. Nothing really fancy needs to be done.

No, it's a Super Stock car from the window designation. So the car has major gear, major convertor, and has been scienced out WELL beyond anything most people do. I love when complete race packages are brought into a discussion. It's like talking about dog training and someone saying "I don't understand why you can't train him to do it. My dolphin does it all the time for an anchovie." :D

No, it's a Super Stock car from the window designation. So the car has major gear, major convertor, and has been scienced out WELL beyond anything most people do. I love when complete race packages are brought into a discussion. It's like talking about dog training and someone saying "I don't understand why you can't train him to do it. My dolphin does it all the time for an anchovie." :D

So how hard would i be to get around 9.1, should i use my 318 heads, or find something different, i think if i can get in the 13s & still have a decent driver that would be cool, maybe thats just wishful thinking, i know i can go 360, but i have this engine, i know it runs, & it only has 89000 on it.

Yeah but the 318 heads are too wimpy to make great power. I luck out and found some MP 360 heads with the 2.02 intake valves, it was based on the great 308 heads but these were never drilled for those air ports in the exhaust ports.

Still some old 1971, 1972 J heads--or those $$$ X heads would wake that motor up. I don't care what the book says, 360 heads on my motor made more power everywhere from off idle to 6500 rpms....try to get 6500 rpms with those 318 heads.

Really if my motor had a forged crank and better rods, I would twist it to 7500 rpms with a solid camshaft.

The motor will like gears, my ride has 3.91 gears with a 26 inch tall tire but if do over, I go with 4.10 gears. Yes the little motor screams on the freeway at 75-80 mph but runs just great to triple digits. Back in the 60's cars came with 3.55 gears and higher--4.10 gears and people drove on the freeways everyday (yes they brought new cars every 3 years too, lol.)

Only down side is low MPG but an overdrive trans would be of big help...too bad its not that easy or cheap to do. So I would build for RPMs with the best parts.

A 360 motor would be cheaper to build for the same cost.

-
Back