Any Ford mechanics around???

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Neighbor has a 2000 F250 with a Diesel & a stick. Slave cylinder just blew out on it. When he replaced it he somehow knocked the fork off of the ball inside the bell- housesing. Possible to wiggle it back on without pulling the trans/t/c out of it? Supposed to go down and take a look at it on Saturday, wondering if I will be wasting my time......

Hey Ink, depending on the design of the fork it is possible.
One kind of design was near impossible to misalign and the other, the fork would also be off the throwout bearing too.
I did a few Google searches for 2000 F250 deisel clutch release fork.
Try doing the same Google search and you will see what I mean.

The clutch fork labor is 3.2 hours for a 2WD six speed. That means transmission R&R. Whether you can get the fork back on or not, I don't know.

Hey Ink, depending on the design of the fork it is possible.
One kind of design was near impossible to misalign and the other, the fork would also be off the throwout bearing too.
I did a few Google searches for 2000 F250 deisel clutch release fork.
Try doing the same Google search and you will see what I mean.

Will do shortly......

Search around over on ford-trucks.com lot of good info over there.

Will take a look.......

The clutch fork labor is 3.2 hours for a 2WD six speed. That means transmission R&R. Whether you can get the fork back on or not, I don't know.

Does not sound promising, Can't help but wonder how he knocked it off in the first place. Guess I will find out Saturday morning......

Yeah......the labor guide didn't really have a better breakdown. Sorry. Imagine that. The old Rob probably wouldda said sumffin smart 'stead of tryin to help.

Neighbor has a 2000 F250 with a Diesel & a stick. Slave cylinder just blew out on it. When he replaced it he somehow knocked the fork off of the ball inside the bell- housesing. Possible to wiggle it back on without pulling the trans/t/c out of it? Supposed to go down and take a look at it on Saturday, wondering if I will be wasting my time......

not a 'ball' per say its this plastic, yes plastic... gizmosis...engineering
water mark of stupidity.

View attachment 1714617762

snapped in from the 'backside'...Ie , trans removal to replace.

Their so cheap Dorman has a part #... muscle around that ZF 6 speed
get the alignment a bit 'skewed' --- pop goes the plastic.

The Ford trucks of the same era as our cars had a steel finger braded to the bell housing that the folk pivoted under. I've replaced a few of those. At 3.2 the plastic part must be easier to replace. Held in with super glue ? LOL
Broke finger and threw a fork sounds like a dinner table occurance, very tough steak.

Oh and about "any Ford mechanics around".....that's kinda like comin outta the closet. Might be why this thread is sorta slow. LOL

water mark of stupidity.

From what I can see it does not look anything like this. It was metal, the end that is visible is shaped like a standard throw out lever, sort of has a balled style recess. No amount of wiggling was going to get it back on. He will be renting a trans jack, Friday morning we will be pulling the trans out....

Ive seen the release fork break on a 99 ford with 6spd diesel.

water mark of stupidity.

From what I can see it does not look anything like this. It was metal, the end that is visible is shaped like a standard throw out lever, sort of has a balled style recess. No amount of wiggling was going to get it back on. He will be renting a trans jack, Friday morning we will be pulling the trans out....

Misunderstood what you were saying. We just dropped the trans and found that the plastic piece was indeed broken. We also found a small chink of steel, looks like it was for a spring retainer of some sorts....

-
Back