Any FORD mechanics here ????

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
2006 Mustang 4.0 V6, automatic. In general, been a good running car for the 4 years we've owned it. Yesterday, wife came out of the store to leave and goes to start it and it barely turns the engine over then clicks. I jumped it with my truck, pops right off and runs good the 8 miles home. Get home, pull the battery out. This morning I buy a new battery and it whips it right over, it starts, but idles somewhat rough and it will not go. It's drive by wire, you can floor it and it stays at idle. Dash has the engine light on steady and a wrench light on steady. WOW !!!!

Any ideas ?? I've tried disconnecting the new battery, touching the cables together, then reconnecting the cables but I get the same thing.

Even my 1990 Super Coupe had to "relearn" after a dead battery, suspect this is no different....BUT my Tbird would drive, it just had to relearn idle, etc.

Am I reading correctly that you left the battery out all night? If so the computer may have lost all it's settings..

..also google Ford anti theft reset...

There may be a idle relearn procedure in the vehicle owners manual similar to this:

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral
position (manual transmission), turn off all accessories and start the
engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to
relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle
quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle
trim is eventually relearned.

I'm not sure about the check engine and wrench light may need a scanner for the CEL.

I have a friend on Facebook who was a mechanic at a Ford dealer for a while. I sent him a message. I've done some quick searches and it seems like something about this whole procedure can somehow mysteriously affect a spring in the throttle body and cause it. Let's see what Joey says first. He's pretty sharp.

He just got back to me when I was typing that. He said some of them have to have the throttle body reset after battery replacement because they lose where "home" is. He's going to look for a TSB, but needs your VIN if you want to PM it to me.

Thanks to all that's responded so far..... I've watched videos on youtube of folks changing batteries on the same car and theirs just started right up zero issues...

Another search produced this. Try it and see. Caint hurt.

1. Turn on car without starting the engine.
  2. Wait til the dash lights stabilize (some of them will turn off)
  3. Step on the gas pedal in one smooth and steady motion.
  4. Once gas pedal hits the bottom, let go.
  5. Turn off car and wait 4-5 seconds.
  6. Turn engine on.
  7. Drive.
  8. Repeat 1-6 if it doesn't work the first time.

He just got back to me when I was typing that. He said some of them have to have the throttle body reset after battery replacement because they lose where "home" is. He's going to look for a TSB, but needs your VIN if you want to PM it to me.
PM sent

Did the battery just crap out or is the alternator on life support? Sometimes they will act up when they're not charging properly.

Another search produced this. Try it and see. Caint hurt.

1. Turn on car without starting the engine.
  2. Wait til the dash lights stabilize (some of them will turn off)
  3. Step on the gas pedal in one smooth and steady motion.
  4. Once gas pedal hits the bottom, let go.
  5. Turn off car and wait 4-5 seconds.
  6. Turn engine on.
  7. Drive.
  8. Repeat 1-6 if it doesn't work the first time.
Tried it. It really won't let me drive it as I can't get it above a "rough" idle. But it will idle for as long as I like.

Did the battery just crap out or is the alternator on life support? Sometimes they will act up when they're not charging properly.
Alternator gage shows proper. All lights, blower and everything has been and is fine. I figured that battery was aftermarket and was most likely in there a year or more before we bought it, and we've had it 4 years. So I figured 5-7 yrs for a parts store battery was probably "life up".

My son-in-law has a scanner, and when he gets home he can see why the engine light/monkey wrench lights are on.

Even my 1990 Super Coupe had to "relearn" after a dead battery, suspect this is no different....BUT my Tbird would drive, it just had to relearn idle, etc.
I hear ya, I've changed batteries and borrowed batteries from a ton of FI cars and yes, many times for the first 10 seconds the idle is a "little unsteady". Never seen a car not know it's a car because of a battery swap. In fact, most FI cars I've installed new batteries into have loved the "full power benefit" from the "up-to-snuff" battery.

Can I install a carb and points dizzy in this thing !!!!! :BangHead:

LOL :D

There may be a idle relearn procedure in the vehicle owners manual similar to this:

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance. To begin this process:
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral
position (manual transmission), turn off all accessories and start the
engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
• The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to
relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy.
• If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle
quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle
trim is eventually relearned.

I'm not sure about the check engine and wrench light may need a scanner for the CEL.
Tried this procedure, let it idle for about 5 minutes, but no dice.

Was there a good amount of corrosion built up on the battery terminals? That is a good indicator of inadequate charging on Fords.

Joey says it needs reprogramming. So now we have cars bein made customers caint even replace their own batteries in. That's gay.

Last time I worked on a Ford, I was tempted to solve it this way...

tenor-3.gif

-
Back