Any Honda Mechanics

-

QK TIME

Reaction score
Ya, Honda. Its a side job I took on. Guy brings out a 97 CRV. 170k and seems to be an all around POS. Brings rear brakes and rear bearing He was told it needed. Its not the bearing. I could be a ***, put the bearing in, collect My money and give it back. But Im not trying to do that and Hes My Sis in laws co worker.
Making really tight turns, in either direction it makes a really bad noise, a grinding squealing noise, and You can feel the grinding in the car. Its not a bearing, not a drive axle. AWD. Jacked up, spinning wheels by hand, the diff sounds terrible. My mitchells have no diagnosis. This thing has funky diff with a clutch assembly in the front. A "torque control differential". Does this sound like the problem. Exploded view seems simple enough to rebuild. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Andrew

Could be lots of things. What kinda transmission is it? They list a CVT for that model. It might be the viscous coupling has burnt up. Whatever it is, it's likely gonna be worth more than the car is worth to fix.

Those rear differential make allot of noise when the fluid breaks down. It's probably too late to save it with a fluid change, but that's probably all it needed years ago when the noise started.
Jon

Use double pump oil from Honda. Rear diff service always fixes it at the shop I work at.

The clutches in the diff drag and grab with old fluid. Sounds like a bad diff when fluid is bad

Sounds cheap enuff to try!

I took Your advice and make it to Honda before they closed. Got the double pump oil. Stuffs ten bucks a qrt. Sure enough it totally fixed it. I think rebuilding the diff clutch would have probably been more than its worth. All is well now, and I didnt have to join a Honda board. FABO rocks. I big thank You to everyone that posted. Andrew

Glad it worked out.
For what it's worth, I've had several that a fluid change stopped the noise. I've had one or two that the owner just kept driving them and driving them and the fluid change made no difference when they finally got around to doing it.
-Jon

-
Back