Any Honda techs out there? A DUH! moment.

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I expect flak about this but trust me..I'm desperate.
I'm working on a customer's car, changed out the engine (no oil= wasted #4 rod/crank). Anyway, this car sat for a year and we're thrashing to get it done for the customer by this coming Wednesday.
We put the battery on the charger for 40 min or so, connect everything and only get a small crank over. Ok battery is fairly toast- i tell my helper to kick the charger up a notch to 40 amps. He mistakenly goes up to 80 amps and I turn the ignition on and hear a POP in the dash.
Now we have no power to the starter (surprise right?) I jumper the wire and the car fires right up and runs great.
I pulled down the schematics but I was just hoping that maybe someone would know anything that would take out a relay or something like that when too much amps are thrown at the system.

I did check all the fuses under the dash with a test light.
Any help would be immediately and gratiously appreciated!:prayer:

main relay is my guess, its under the dash near the center on accord 2 doors, civics i think its under the dash by the passenger side. alldata will show ya

What kind of Honda?
Year
Model...
Main relay does your fuel pump also so if it will run it ok.
Look under hood passenger side near battery,there will be a flat box open lid,this where fusible links are on Honda's they flat thin metal that look like miniature wrench held by two screws.If you can not get one from Honda just cut you a fusible link wire that size and screw it to both sides and viola,you are good to go...
Hope this fixes it,if not pm me I will respond tomorrow at work...
Night All,
TXDart

Wow- can't believe I left out the pertinent info...
1997 civic ex 5spd.

fuel pump does run- every thing works just will not power the starter.
Fuses under the hood tested good too- like said earlier- heard a POP under the dash.

Before I log off,Honda's are bad about Ignition switches...If the fusible link did not blow..Pull the covers behind steering wheel,2 small phillips screw hold the electrical part to the lock cylinder assembly...small harness is attached to it about a foot long.
TXDart
P.S. The wires are solder to the back of the plastic switch it probably will look burnt.

Thanks TX- I'll see if there's any fusible link behind there. I just don't want to dig out the whole dash if someone knows where something may be that can blow out due to this.

I am betting the ignition switch,only thing that would send power to the starter.
TXDart

Man, I hope so- I'll take that over an ECM. Still weird though, I heard a definitve pop behind the dash. I'll let you guys know tomorrow what's smoked.

Well found it out- the aftermarket theft box must have hated all the extra amperage sent to it. Have a signal for the starter going to it but not going out- removed the whole devise, connected the wiring and VOILA' it starts!
Thanks for the advise anyway guys!
Mike

There is a box shaped main fuse in the underhood power center. That would blow before anything else would. It is usually a 60 or an 80 amp fuse found in any parts store.

I know a girl who would get out of her little Isuzu truck and rock it on the wheels to get a second cycle from the starter. This was common practice for over 2 years.
There was a aftermarket anti theft divice in it that she wasn't aware of. All she ever needed to do was open and close the drives door again to get a second start cycle. LOL

I know a girl who would get out of her little Isuzu truck and rock it on the wheels to get a second cycle from the starter. This was common practice for over 2 years.
There was a aftermarket anti theft divice in it that she wasn't aware of. All she ever needed to do was open and close the drives door again to get a second start cycle. LOL

That's hilarious! LOL.

-
Back