Any hot tips on replacing gas tank filler tube grommet?

-

Kelster

Reaction score
I have a 63 dart wagon and I started replacing the filler tube grommet and 1) I have the wrong grommet its too big. not by much 2) I'm trying to put it back together while I find the right grommet and other than patience and perseverance what is the trick to fitting this gas tank back up in there and still getting the tube down into the tank.

I just replaced mine on the Barracuda. Greased up the outside of the tube and a little inside the grommet and she slid right in. Nice and snug.

I just replaced mine on the Barracuda. Greased up the outside of the tube and a little inside the grommet and she slid right in. Nice and snug.
SAME HERE, EVEN PULLED THE TANK TO ADD REAR FUEL OUTLETS, AND RE INSTALLED IT W/ THE TUBE IN THE CAR. USE LUBE OF UR CHOICE . Dam cap lock !

I have a 63 dart wagon and I started replacing the filler tube grommet and 1) I have the wrong grommet its too big. not by much 2) I'm trying to put it back together while I find the right grommet and other than patience and perseverance what is the trick to fitting this gas tank back up in there and still getting the tube down into the tank.
Right, early A's had smaller diameter filler tubes, it ain't gonna work tryin' to use the later one & You're just going to have to wait 'cause I don't know of any way to install
the filler after the tank's in.

Right, early A's had smaller diameter filler tubes, it ain't gonna work tryin' to use the later one & You're just going to have to wait 'cause I don't know of any way to install
the filler after the tank's in.
No doubt! As soon as I received my new grommet quickly found out I had to drop the tank in order to finagle the filler tube out. Once apart I found my new grommet was a tad too big and my old one has a more flared inner seal.
Any idea where I can find a match?

Aside Daves69 's link, try these Guys;
Mopar Fuel Tanks
Spectra Premium also shows that a new grommet is included with their early-A tanks, and I've purchased grommets thru Advance/CarQuest separately for My old FWD turbo
Mopars.

-
Back