Any idea how to find out.....

-

340john

Reaction score
Is there any way to find out the name of the original selling dealer of my 70 340 Swinger ? I don't know any previous owners and don't have the window sticker. NJ DMV records show me as the only registered owner...I guess because I have owned it for so long and they only keep records for so many years.

Cool one owner car......Not sure ask smallblock one of the staff member, he may be able to direct you

the 2 things you need you dont have sorry....unless the factory has record of what vins went where...

You're screwed unless you can track down the original owner and ask where he bought it. There are NO records of where cars went, or what the dealership's number was if they don't exist or have changed hands. That is something that you would need for reproducing a window sticker. I know where my Challenger was sold new. The dealership still exists, but has changed hands so their number had changed. Galen doesn't have that kind of info unless he already has documentation of another car from the same dealership.

So like I said, you're kinda screwed.

I registered the car with Joel (D.A.R.T.S.) back in 1987, he wouldn't know any history before my ownership. Thanks anyway...who knows, maybe I will stumble upon something someday.

see if dmv has what they call a title history search. if so there is a small fee involved but it can tell you all titles on your car as long as it has been in your state. if they won't give that infromation to you then get a friendly cop on here from your state to give you a helping hand in the matter. lastly the chrysler historical society might have something for you but it is a real long shot as most records from 70 up are gone..

I was able to check the DMV and police records, but unfortunatly their records only go back so far. I have owned my car so long, all records show me as the only registered owner. I also tried Chrysler historical...but had no luck.

You're screwed unless you can track down the original owner and ask where he bought it. There are NO records of where cars went, or what the dealership's number was if they don't exist or have changed hands. That is something that you would need for reproducing a window sticker. I know where my Challenger was sold new. The dealership still exists, but has changed hands so their number had changed. Galen doesn't have that kind of info unless he already has documentation of another car from the same dealership.

So like I said, you're kinda screwed.

I was able to get the build card for my car from Chrysler and it lists the dealer name, Clyde C. Netzley, Inc. Naperville, IL.
It is closed now so my dilemma is finding the original owner or whatever happened to any sales records. The trail has run cold.

I was able to get the build card for my car from Chrysler and it lists the dealer name, Clyde C. Netzley, Inc. Naperville, IL.
It is closed now so my dilemma is finding the original owner or whatever happened to any sales records. The trail has run cold.

do you know if they were bought out? alot of times dealers will sell to another dealer and records will transfer to the new dealer. you know info for maintence records and warrenty stuff.

I registered the car with Joel (D.A.R.T.S.) back in 1987, he wouldn't know any history before my ownership. Thanks anyway...who knows, maybe I will stumble upon something someday.

Joel and I have been putting our records together. I have a lot of updates to his info and his stuff goes back to the 80s.

If you find out who sold it originally let us know so we can add it to the registry.

do you know if they were bought out? alot of times dealers will sell to another dealer and records will transfer to the new dealer. you know info for maintence records and warrenty stuff.

I don't know. I could only locate limited info and 1 pic of the dealership after it closed, it was basically an empty building that had no resemblance to a dealership.

The origanal owners name and the dealer who sold my car is hand writen on the front inside cover of my owners manual.

Other than that, I would not know.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

-
Back