Any Ideas????

-

Diesel0081

Reaction score
Ok, so we took the Dart out for the first test drive today. No leaks, runs strong and just need to tweak the kickdown linkage... Here's something I did notice though, when starting out there are some pretty noticeable vibrations. Seems to mailnly happen when you are turning the wheel and first starting to push on the gas but goes away after you get up a little speed... Any ideas on what the cause could be?

Simple checks: Tire pressure, check for broken belts on tire, and maybe get the tires balanced.

Other more complex: Check the wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, U-joints and maybe the alignment.

where is the vibration ? Seat ? Entire car ? Steering linkage hitting engine or exhaust when you turn ?

Simple checks: Tire pressure, check for broken belts on tire, and maybe get the tires balanced.

Other more complex: Check the wheel bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, U-joints and maybe the alignment.

Well I know the tires are shot, but I'm replacing them tomorrow. I'm going to be doing a drum to disc conversion on the front brakes. Which will mean new bearings, ball joints.... So hopefully that fixes the problem. I'm hoping it isn't something major, cause I've just got done dropping over $2200 in it. Pretty much broke! lol Thanks for the input.

where is the vibration ? Seat ? Entire car ? Steering linkage hitting engine or exhaust when you turn ?

Well you can feel it when you're sitting in the drivers seat. Definitely coming from the front but does seem to vibrate most of the car... But it only does it for a few seconds on take off.

Most difficult to find vibration i've encountered was a single loose fan blade.
Could be as simple as slack in the alt' belt. Just 2 of a hundred things to check.
Good luck finding it.

Most difficult to find vibration i've encountered was a single loose fan blade.
Could be as simple as slack in the alt' belt. Just 2 of a hundred things to check.
Good luck finding it.

Hopefully it won't be too hard to find... And hope it's nothing major, that would be a bummer at this point.

Well you can feel it when you're sitting in the drivers seat. Definitely coming from the front but does seem to vibrate most of the car... But it only does it for a few seconds on take off.

It is an auto, right? Does it only do it in first gear, or does it quit before it shifts into second or after? Like redfish said, could be a hundred things...

I've seen warped rotors vibrate at certain speeds and when stopping, but I've never seen a warped drum, doesn't mean it couldn't though.

I think the best thing to do would be to swap the tires and see if that takes care of it, and then do your conversion.

when the vibration starts, put car in neutral, if vibration persists then its in the suspension, if it stops its probably in drivetrain

X2. Could be excessive movement in a motor mount causing the engine to make contact with something it shouldn't be.

-
Back