any input

-

mattlock

Reaction score
i have recently purchased a 72 duster with a slant 6, 3 speed,the body is solid besides some cancer in the front left quarter panel.
im looking for a 4 speed to put with the 318, i have a dodge d 100 im stealing the 318 from until my 340 is ready
im new to building cars so any help would be much appreciated

Not to be rude, but whats your question. You have made a brod statement. Are you asking what it takes? What you need? ask some questions and you shall receive.

i have a 7.3/4 rearend what should i put in?i seen a 5 speed for sale out of a 75 a-body should i get that inplace of the four speed?

a friend was telling me to build a 440 but i was thinking about putting the 340 in since i have the block, whats the best choice?

i found the build sheet in the back seat,how do i figure out the options it had and what were the paint schemes for that year.

I bet alot of you oldschool guys are shaking your head but im just getting into this, any info will help .

Well it is a lot about personal preference. But a 7 3/4 rear is the smallest you can get..so not highly recommended. I would say go try to find a 8 3/4 and that will satisfy your needs, I am sure an 8 1/4 would work just as fine. What is the 340 going to have that you are building?

As far as the motor this is much about personal preference, I personally would say go for a 340, you can either buy schumaker bolt in motor mounts or just buy a v8 k frame for it. For a big block motor you need motor mounts and most likely would use fender well headers (which I personally hate, you have to cut the car up).

As far as the options there should be a fender tag on the drivers side fender with a bunch of numbers and letters, post it here and we will be happy to decode it!

You explained it very well when you stated you didn't know what your doing so i'll be as gentle as i can. First off your rear diff is more than likely a 7 1/4 rear. Replace that with an 8 1/4 or an 8 3/4 unit and you'll be set. The 5 speed that you refer to never came in a 75 A body. It may be in it but it never came with one. The car you have is an A body and as your fender tag denotes came with a /6. The pedals you have in your car will work with an 833 4 speed unit but you will have to switch the shifting to the floor. As far as motor , that will depend on what kind of driving you will be doing. 1/4 mile? Cruiser? Touring? Tell us more. Hows the rust? Where are you located. There may be some members here that live close that can share some knowledge before someone skins you alive. If you don't know ask questions here and someone will respond. Be careful and good luck.

i have recently purchased a 72 duster with a slant 6, 3 speed,the body is solid besides some cancer in the front left quarter panel.
im looking for a 4 speed to put with the 318, i have a dodge d 100 im stealing the 318 from until my 340 is ready
im new to building cars so any help would be much appreciated

Welcome to FABO, Mattlock, from the lower island. There's lotsa guys on here from the island to bounce questions off...let'er rip!! SmallBlock gave you some good basic info there. Digest that and come on back with some more questions.

What year is your 340 block? If its in good shape, and its in the '68-'70 model years, I would sell it and buy a running 360 for your car. You'd probably break even in the end, and, you get 20 extra cubes with the 360. They're cheaper to build than a 340, and have more torque and horsies when you're done.

Just my opinion...(ducking the flames!!)

my 340 block is from 1970 and its in good shape it was a spare for a super stock,I found a running 360 out of a chrysler cordoba today.
im also looking for a tail light because my car was rearended were it was parked.

I plan on just making this car a cruiser what would be a good eng tranny combo??

I'd pick up that 360 ,and the trans ,if possible. 360 and Auto makes a great street/strip performer in an A-Body,when built right. The auto will be a much simpler installation as compared to finding all the 4-speed bits and pieces, but that's personal decision for you.

That 340 block is worth good bucks to someone who needs it for a restoration project. Is it just the block, whole engine, or somewhere in-between?

Most likely a 8 1/4, but its also not an A body, so you would have to have it cut or something. There are plenty of A body rears out there that would be as close to bolt in as you can get. I would look for one of those.
340 are awsome, but expensive to build. I would go with the 318 or 360. Also remember, most 318, 340 and 360 part are inter changable. 360 heads on a 318, same rod size etc.

Don't mess with the Doba rear. It's probably a 9 1/4, grab the drums and backing plates off of it if they are cheap.

If you are going to swap the front to big bolt pattern disc, grab a 66-70 B body rear. They fit and the only thing you really need to do is spread the springs 1/2" on each side and you get the BBP drum/axles. You'll need new wheels as well so buy the correct offset to make up for the wider rear when purchasing.

Your car is already a floor shift manual according to the tag. You'll need a new bellhousing because the /6 one won't work, flywheel, clutch, shifter and trans. The z bar will need to be shortened, /6 is wider than a v8 bar.

I wonder if the 5 speed is an A833 4 speed overdrive trans. It's a good trans as long as you don't beat the living daylights out of it. Alum OD trans shouldn't cost more than $100.

Nice Nova Dude!!! :-D
You'll hear that one every once in a while.

Good luck. Love the 70-72 Dusters.

cordoba

M25 M26 N88 S62 END
G01G52 H51 J52 K5X L73
V1Y C 28 B0 C978517
LY6 B3KW OOO 310 C08772
557 033 SS22 KGR 238923

-
Back