Any led kits for 64-66 barracudas?

-
Personally, I don't think that there are any out there that are worth the money. At least, none that are going to be safe and equal the light output of a regular light bulb. I don't know that much about available kits, however. Maybe Slant Six Dan will chime in, he has quite a bit of knowledge about them.

Call mike and Ben at http://digi-tails.com/. Don't think they make a kit yet but if you talk to them and send your lights in they will make them for you..

They are located in Berlin,nj right off of rt.73

I seem to remember a member here - FastFish (Maybe??) - Black tubbed 66 had a post of having some made.

Safe/effective retrofit LED lamps are possible but not simple to construct. See threads here and here for two examples of homemade LED light projects with the right amount of thought, effort, understanding, and technique behind them to be probably safe.

For those who lack the tools, expertise, and equipment to make their own safe and effective LED lights, and who are wise enough to avoid the fast-talking profiteers—the vendors who offer "LED retrofits" for classic cars—but who want LED lights, you can sometimes get clever with ready-made truck/bus LED lamps placed inside the lenses of your car's original lights. You have to be careful to get the placement right; they need to be upright, facing straight, without any slant, tilt, or inward or outward rotation (the exception is the units made specifically for postal trucks with a 7° forward tilt to the rear surface where the taillamps are mounted). If the units you pick have a "TOP" marking, it must be at the (duh) top. My favorites are these, in clear-lens variety when available; their performance is excellent and they aren't expensive:
http://www.levineautoparts.com/vali6ovledla.html
http://www.levineautoparts.com/sttutareled4.html
http://www.levineautoparts.com/truckliestt.html

"LED bulbs" designed to be installed in place of regular bulbs are dangerous and illegal. They don't put out enough light and they don't spread the light through the necessary range of angles.

What I used was a stop, tail, turn rectangle led assy by Whelen. It works great and is it bright. I have had some complaints by people who sit behind me a light at night saying it's too bright with the brakes on. They are pricey, I think I paid 125 for the pair. You can set the flash pattern, just by grounding it out.

I have one that I have installed in the housing, but not on the car (65 valiant) that was a truck lens. It actually fit really good once I shaved down the sides of the led housings body a little. It was a little too fat in the middle, but it was plastic that wasn't needed. The brake light is bright enough that you don't want to stare at it up close and it lights up all the refractors on the factory lens so that it very visible from the sides and from higher and lower viewpoints. I don't have the package it came in, but it was $27 per side and has roughly 60 led.

Can you trim those circuit boards down without screwing them up? Never tried but shouldn't be too hard. Peterson/truck lite/grote are a few led light manufacturers that may work or be trimmed to fit.

Here is the thread I was referencing ..........."my barracuda goes high tech" by fstfish66........

Can you trim those circuit boards down without screwing them up? Never tried but shouldn't be too hard. Peterson/truck lite/grote are a few led light manufacturers that may work or be trimmed to fit.

As long as you don't cut into the circuit trace they can be trimmed. The one I cut up had 1/4" of plastic all the way around the board. So just trimming that slimmed it up by 1/2" total width which is where it was tight.

Be careful, though -- one of the Mopar mags a few years ago had the "bright idea" (not to break open the LED truck/bus lamps and remove the circuit board with the LEDs on it, then install just the board/LEDs in your lamp. No good -- you need the optics meant to go with the LEDs.

-
Back